Is It Ok That my Frenulum is Gone After IntraOral Chin Implant?

I was wondering if the fact that my lower lip frenulum is gone after having a chin implant placed intraorally accounts for the problems I have with chewing, speaking and smiling almost a month after surgery... and if so, might my frenulum grow back?

Chin implant and loss of frenulum

+2

It is not uncommon to have disruption of the frenulum after a chin implant. As far as regrowth, that is unlikely. If you are concerned I would address this with your surgeon but you should have no long term ill effects that I am aware of.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loss Of Frenulum After Chin Augmentation

+2

It would not be uncommon that the frenal attachment would be obliterated by an intraoral approach to chin implant placement. Going through the vestibule to reach the proper chin position disrupts the muscosal lining and mentalis muscle to get there. There is no functional significance that the frenulum is no longer present. Because the mentalis muscle is completely disrupted and put back together once the chin implant is placed, it takes some time to recover its full function. At only one month after your surgery, the mentalis muscle has not completely recovered and will take up to three months after surgery to do so.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant and oral function

+2

the frenulum is not important for good speech, swallowing and other oral functions. However, to insert a chin implant intraorally, it is necessary to initially divide and then repair some muscles around the lower lip and mouth region. The muscles will swell up and stop working temporarily and this is more likely a reason for the difficulties you're having. In my experience, these muscles start working again after a few weeks, and sensation returns to normal around the lip region at around a similar time, so it may just be a matter of time before you start seeing your oral function returning to normal. 

Taimur Shoaib, MD
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon