Will a Small Chin Implant Be Very Noticeable? (photo)

I'm getting a rhinoplasty, which I'm thinking people I know will indeed notice... but, they know I'm getting 'deviated septum surgery' which I can use to explain why my nose looks different. But, people I know may indeed judge me for getting something done to my chin. I'm thinking my chin is somewhat weak, so I'm considering getting a size 2 implant put in. Since a size 2 is pretty small, might no one notice?... Especially if I grow a beard with it? Do I even need an implant?

Noticeable Small Chin Implant

+2

A chin implant will significantly improve your appearance when done with your rhinoplasty. I doubt close friends or family members will notice. I must ask why you are concerned about what other people think? You're doing this for yourself, not them. Very few people will  even notice your rhinoplasty, unless you tell them or they see you right after surgery.

Chin Implant

+2

One of my favorite stories is when I asked a male patient after chin implant surgery what he thought about the look. His answer was "It looks like nothing." I asked what he meant and he said it does not look like anything was done because it fit his face so well it looked totally natural. I think you will find the same thing. It's a great operation to make the face look better balanced. If anyone notices it, they are way too concerned with your chin!!

Noticeability of a small chin implant

+1

Small chin implants are usually not very noticeable to family and friends of a patient.  A large chin implant is much more noticeable.  Most people do not even notice that a small chin implant has been placed.  A beard or goatee is also an excellent camouflage for the first couple of months after the surgery until full healing has occurred.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Is chin implant needed or noticeable

+1

From your profile photo a conservative chin augmentation would help balance you overall facial features. It would also allow your surgeon to maintain a stronger, more natural nasal profile. I suspect that combined with your nasal surgery people probably won't notice your chin.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/blog/post/how-to-make-a-nose-look-smaller-with-chin-implantation

Will a Small Chin Implant Be Very Noticeable?

+1

Obviously without examining you I can only give you a limited opinion.  In my experience I have never placed a small chin implant in a male.  If you were my patient I would place a medium and large sizer in first and have you evaluate it on the table.  Most of my chin implants are placed in the office under local anesthetic through a submental (external chin)  incision.  My advice would be to request either a medium or large prosthetic.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

Nobody ever notices the presence of a chin implant no matter the size. Especially if you are getting a simultaneous rhinoplasty. Go for a medium at least, you will love it.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin implant size

+1

Hey Thathoustonguy,

First off, Hook'em Horns!  We've got a bowl game coming up.  Now, with that out of the way.

Generally less is more.  Your profile would be improved significantly with a small to medium chin implant.  The small is larger than you think.  If you're thinking of not having one at all. . .would the beard work?. .. .etc, then definitely go with the small.  I think you'd be pleased.  It'll balance your nose and face very nicely.

People will notice the smaller implant. . .but then they won't and that's the idea.  They'll say, "Hey, you look a little different, you look good."  Not, "what'd you do to your face."  

Go small but pick the right shape.  Your chin has good height, it just needs projection so you want an implant that is not too pointed.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Texas Native

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon