Would It Be in my Best Interest to Have Chin Implants Before I Have Rhinoplasty?

How might procedures for my chin and nose impact each other?

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty

+2

It is great that you are recognizing the importance of the chin in aligning the profile and harmonizing facial proportions. Frequently, the two procedures are done concurrently, but they don't have to. This is ideal as it would require only one procedure with one recovery period, etc..

In general, I like to perform a thorough examination and facial analysis and determine whether a chin implant, in conjunction with the rhinoplasty would provide a significant improvement. If so, I recommend that it be performed at the same time as rhinoplasty.

There are no medical, surgical, or aesthetic considerations that would mandate the procedures be done separately. However, if you are hesitant and wish to see the degree of improvement of one procedure prior to deciding on the second, that is quite reasonable. Another reason is financial as some patients elect to have one procedure they can afford at that time and undergo the other when finances permit.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation is commonly done With a Nose Surgery

+1

There is no reason to do a chin implant apart from a nose operation. Both operations are commonly done together and can restore balance to the face.

Chin implant before rhinoplasty?

+1

The chin implant and a rhinoplasty can be done at the same time under the same anesthetic, and the patient will have one recuperative time period after surgery.  They can be done separately, but the patient will have separate recovery times.  The two surgeries, although they change different parts of the face, they do affect each other.  A retrusive chin will make a nose look larger and a large nose will make a chin appear more retrusive.  When a large nose and retrusive chin are present, both rhinoplasty and a chin implant is recommended to create facial balance.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

+1

Typically the Chin Implant is performed at the same time as the Rhinoplasty in patients who would benefit from a more balanced profile.  Be sure that your plastic and cosmetic surgeon and Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty: Facial balance restored with one operation

+1

Chin implant and rhinoplasty are two procedures which are commonly performed at the same operation in order to restore facial balance. The profile of the nose and chin are altered with these procedures and it has been shown that if one is left undone the perceived result of the operation is compromised. I would always discuss this with my rhinoplasty patients after the review of their photos. A chin implant is usually a silicone and I usually place this through a small incision under the chin. This procedure adds about an hour to the rhinoplasty surgery, but really does not contribute to prolonging the recovery after the surgery. I would consider doing both the chin implant and rhinoplasty at the same time if your surgeon does do these operations.

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

When a chin implant is considered along with rhinoplasty we often refer to this as "profile-plasty". The reason being that a certain balance is sought on the profile view between the chin and nose. In that, doing both at the same time will usually result in better harmony, as well as, convenience.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

The decision of chin implant and rhinplasty is highly dependant on both your nasal and chin anatomy.  Whether or not a chin implant, a rhinoplasty, or both would give the best cosmetic result can best be determined in consultation with your plastic surgeon while viewing and discussing your images.  If you are unsure, I would recommend consultation with several physicians.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

Quite commonly a chin implant can be placed at the same time as performing a rhinoplasty.  It is probably best to do it at the same time.

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

Chin augmentation and rhinoplasty are often performed together.  The best way to decide if you need one or the other, or both, is with the aid of video imaging.  Your physician can show you on the computer what you will look like in each case scenario.  If it looks like you would benefit from both, then I would have them done at the same time.  

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Choose the correct chin surgery along with rhinoplasty

+1

There is no question that the chin and the nose are interrelated and are best addresses together. Performing the chin operation separately or ahead of time, does not provide you any specific advantage, other than cost savings. When balancing the nose and chin, you must decide, along with your surgeon, what might be the right chin operation for you; a chin implant, a sliding genioplasty, or a chin reduction. There are advantages to an implant (easier recovery and sometimes less costly) and disadvantages (external scar under chin, possible bone loss under the implant over the years). The main advantage of a sliding genioplasty (moving the chin bone forward) is that it tends to be good for life when healed and the incision is hidden inside the mouth. From a surgeon's stand point, and when possible, genioplasty and rhinoplasty are best performed together.