Chin Implant, Fat Transfer, or a Filler?

I am 26 years old and am considered to have somewhat of a weak chin. I have undergone consultations with 2 doctors for lipo in the chin area and both have advised I do not have enough fat to remove. One suggested a dermal filler to create a stronger chin. What are the approximate cost differences between an implant, fillers and a fat transfer? Also, which filler is best recommended for this area?

Techniques for Treating Weak Chin

+1

For a young person like yourself, I usually recommend a solid silicone implant which will provide life long improvement in your weak chin. Fat or fillers, which are easier to place,  will give temporary results which will have to be repeated throughout life.

Best way to strengthen chin

+1

Chin implantationor sliding genioplasty are the most definitive ways of improving chin projection. Filler placement is a viable way to temporarily create a stronger chin.

Fat graft is less successful in treating the chin area so if you wanted to have a surgery implantation or sliding genioplasty would be better options.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation

Chin Implant vs. Fat Augmentation or Filler for Weak Chin

+1

The most definitive way to improve a weak chin is with a chin implant.  The use of autologous fat and fillers is a temporary solution or best used to soften the edge of a implant.

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

Of the options you listed the only viable option would be a chin implant. The other options would either not work or provide minimal change.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurg.org/plastic-surgery-chicago.html

Fillers for chin augmentation

+1

You have asked a very interesting question.  However, it is difficult to have a meaning discussion about the most appropriate options for you without a photograph. 
Generally speaking, the preferred options for a weak chin are oral surgery (breaking the bones and advancing them) or an implant.  Implants can be used to increase the projection, the horizontal or vertical widths or your chin.  The type of implant used depending on the size of your chin and the changes that you would like to make.
Fat transfer and dermal fillers are typically not used to augment a recessed chin.  With regards to cost, fat transfer and implants are both surgical procedures requiring sedation, operating equipment, and increased initial expense.  The cost of fillers will be considerably less, but will need to be repeated every 10-18 months.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Approach For Chin Augmentation

+1

The only effective treatment for a weak chin would be a preformed synthetic implant. Injectable fillers should only be used as a temporary 'test'  treatment to determine if surgical chin augmentation would be worthwhile. However, the results of injectable chin augmentation are not the same as that of a real implant so I am not certain that it provides a really good preoperative determination. Fat injections are another type of 'implant' but their take and smoothness of the result are not always assured.

Web reference: http://www.eppleychinaugmentation.com/

Chin implant vs. filler vs. liposuction

+1

Hi Chan05

It depends.  The reality of liposuction is that even if there isn't much fat to remove (and in younger patients there often isn't) you still get improved definition of the chin and jawline with it, especially if you used a laser assisted liposuction like smartlipo.  However, for the most part, if you want a good permanent result to improve the look of your chin I would go with the implant.  It's safe, effective, and if you don't like it you can remove it.  On the other hand if you want to try it out, so to speak, you can use Radiesse first.  It'll augment the chin but it won't be permanent.  If you like it then your can proceed with implant with more confidence.  Here's a break down:

Chin implant:  Cost - $2,300 to $3,000.  Risk - infection, and chin/lip numbness (low incidence).

Radiesse: Cost $600 per syringe (might need two).  Risk - you don't like it or you're unimpressed but it goes away over 9 to 16 months.

Chin  Liposuction:  Cost $2,500 to $3,500.  Risk -  not many. . .maybe some uneveness of the skin but it's rare.  Maybe some bruising for a week and swelling (mild) for two.

The liposuction really enhances the implant if you decide on that and you still get an improvement even though you may have little fat to give.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.