Is my Chin Implant Infected? (photo)

I haven't contacted my surgeon because it doesn't feel like an emergency. Here are some photos, one from before and one today which is 5 days after surgery. The creeping red mark itches and is hot. Thanks for your opinion and advice!

Is my chin implant infected?

Redness and warmth are signs of an infection, but you could also be experiencing a reaction to the tape. I would recommend contacting your surgeon and having the area examined as soon as possible. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Redness Around Chin Implant Incision

At this early point after your chin implant surgery, the redness and swelling are likely secondary to an infection or an allergic reaction.  Signs of an infection are:

1)  Fever

2)  Redness

3)  Increased pain

4)  Warmth

5)  Foul smell

6)  Pus

I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an evaluation ASAP.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

6849 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210

Infected Chin Implant

First and foremost you should call your surgeon.  If you have a temperature (especially >101.5), chills, redness, increased pain and general fatigue then you may have an infection.  This warrants IMMEDIATE attention by your surgeon.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Concerns of Chin Implant Infection

The two things to distinguish early in the postoperative course following chin implantation would be allergic reaction and infection with an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Inflammation after chin augmentation

You need to see your surgeon asap. You may have a reaction to either the tape or adhesive put on under the tape. This should be addressed promptly so you have no further irritation to the skin and rule out infection. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Red under bandage

To me this looks more like contact dermatitis than infection.  That is, you may be allergic to the glue on the tape, however, this doesn't rule out an infection.  I would still give your doctor a call in the AM, and be seen.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

Inflammation after chin implant

Your description and photos indicate you should be seen as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to take care of you. It would be interesting for us if sent a followup report and what this turns out to be.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

3324 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94609

Call and see your doctor

From the pictures could be a contact dermatitis or allergic reaction to the tape or even a infection.

Your doctor should examine you ASAP.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS

550 Biltmore Way
Miami, FL 33134

Is my Chin Implant Infected?

From your photographs it looks like you are having a dermatitis reaction to the tape or possibly the Mastisol or adhesive placed on your skin to keep the tape in place.  You need to see you Plastic Surgeon immediately.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027