Should I Get my Cast Wet the Day Before Removal So There is Less Pain?

I have read in a few reviews of people being advised to take a shower before getting the cast off because it's easier. Also, does anyone have an recommendations for a topical cream to treat the hot itchy skin underneath my chin implant bandage? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Wet cast before removal?

+2

Let me put it to you this way.  I bet your surgeon didn't tell you to do that. He would likely wonder what would possess you to do a bone headed thing like that in the first place?  And then, he would read you the riot act.

On second though, since you paid him thousands of dollars, and put your life in his hands, and trusted him in general, perhaps, you should do what he tells you.  Sound like a good idea?  Yea, I thought so.

By the way, the cast shouldn't hurt that badly when coming off.  If you are a bit of a weenie, take a pain pill before coming to the office and it will be fine.

sek

Cast removal after rhinoplasty

+2

The removing of the cast post rhinoplasty is typically pain free and does not require any preparation prior to removal. I use an elevator with adhesive remover on it under the cast tape and then it comes right off with minimal discomfort. As far as the chin incision goes I would check and make sure you are not having a reaction to the tape or material used for the bandage. Hot and itchy should be looked at by your surgeon. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Should I get my cast wet the day before removal so there is less pain?

+1

This is not necessary. Prior to removal, a solution is applied that will help the cast come off easier.  I would advise speaking with your surgeon regarding his or her recommendation for a topical cream, as it is difficult to provide you with advice without performing an exam. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Wetting the Cast before Removal and Itchy Chin after Chin Implant

+1

The itchy chin after chin implant could be allergic reaction to adhesive or infection.  Wetting the cast may help, but I use an adhesive degrading agent prior to removal of the splint.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tape removal

+1
You can take shower but your doctor will most likely use an adhesive removal solution to loosen the tape before removal.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon