I Had a Chin Implant 2 Days Ago. My Chin is Very Swollen and Itchy. Is It Infected?

I had a chin implant along with rhinoplasty Feb 13. I went to my post op and my Dr. said everything looked fine but started me on a cycle of steroids to help with the swelling. Now my chin and neck are swollen and the skin that shows under the bandage is red and itchy. I also had a little fat trimmed underneath the chin. Should I be worried about an infection now or just keep taking my antibiotics and steroids for a couple of days? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Post Chin Implant Surgery

+2

Picture would be helpful. But it sound like you have a very common post operative healing process. Infection usually presents with pain, severe swelling and redness, warmth, foul smelling discharge and fever.

Follow closely for those clues and see your surgeon if any suspicion arises.

Good luck

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Itching after chin implant

+2
It is normal for swelling to peak 3-4 days after surgery. Sometimes the tape placed over the chin can cause some mild redness. Itching around incisions is common anyway. Mild redness is normal as well, but certainly should be watched. You should discuss these issues with your surgeon...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from chin implant

+1

It is difficult to provide you with any advice without examining you. Your surgeon knows your condition best, as they know the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I would recommend following their advice, and mention any of your concerns to him or her. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant recovery

+1

Dear Willie17,

I would check with your surgeon for frequent post operative appointments to follow your recovery closely. If you see redness, warmth to touch, increased pain, or temperature tell your surgeon immediately so a proper diagnosis may be made. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Redness after chin implant

+1

Most patients get a moderate amount of swelling following placement of facial implants and this usually peaks on day two or three. I routinely give my patients a short burst of steroids post operatively to minimize the swelling.  Significant redness is less common and may be a sensitivity to tape or other material.  It also could be associated with infection so if you have experienced an increase in pain or developed any drainage around your incision I would recommend contacting your surgeon to evaluate. 

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness and Itchiness after Chin Implant

+1

Redness and itchiness after chin implant may be an allergic reaction.  Warmth, redness, fever, and drainage are all signs of infection.  If there is any doubt, ask your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA