What Are the Options of Chin Augmentation Other Than Silicone?

I had a silicon chin implant surgery 4 years ago when I was 18. However there'd been noticeable bone resorption and the result, which was ok during the first year after the procedure, has become exceedingly unsatisfactory. I had a doctor look at my recent X-ray picture of my profile, and I was told the bone under the implant had resorbed to 1/2 its original thickness. I'll take out the silicon and get a different sort of augmentation. What are the pro n cons of Medpor? Fat transfer? Cartilage?

Revision of Silicone Chin Implant

+1

I agree with Dr. Epply that removal of your silicone implant and either a Medpor implant or sliding osteotomy with bone grafting would be a reasonable plan.

Dr. ES

Chin Implant Removal and Bone Resorption

+1

If you have had a chin implant that has created bone resorption, osseous genioplasty may make more sense.  This would be difficult to determine without an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Chin-Implant.php

Non-Silicone Chin Augmentation Options

+1

Your options for non-silicone chin augmentation include Medpor implants or a sliding bony osteotomy. Each has advantages and disadvantages and which one may be better for you depends on a variety of issues. Fat transfers for bone augmentation are unpredictable and can't produce the same of degree of augmentation. While cartilage can be used it may also resorb and requires a rib graft harvest.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/chin.html

Different chin implant types

+1

I am not a big fan of Medpor implants since they are almost impossible to remove if it becomes necessary. Other options include a goretex coated implant or a softer silastic implant. Fat transfer in my opinion does not have a very good success rate in that area and cartilage typically does not survive. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon