Why Do my Breasts Look Like This? (photo)

the nipple is flat and the areola is very large and puffy in its relaxed state. my breasts also take a sort of triangular shape in relaxed state, is there any way to fix this? also i'm wondering if a nipple piercing will make the actual nipple stick out, even when in relaxed state? or will it just be uncomfortable for me when the nipple is not erect? thank you.

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift for tubular breasts

+1

Your breasts look like this because you have tubular breasts.  If your cup size is adequate then you do not need implants.  If your cup size is inadequate then you need implants.  You are an excellent candidate for a new procedure called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  This will reduce the size of the areolas, elevate the breast tissue higher on the chest wall and give the natural appearance that you desire, leaving only a scar at the areola-skin junction.  At the same time, implants can be placed if desired.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your breasts have large, "puffy" areolas, a narrow footprint and some droop, or ptosis.

Based on your photo (a physical exam and measurements would be essential if we were doing this for real) I recommend a breast lift with augmentation.

There are, as you know, different types of breast lift and implants.

You should see an experienced aesthetic breast surgeon to explore your options.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Why Do my Breasts Look Like This?

+1

The posted photo is a way to tell you that the breasts are congenitally/genetic/develpmental determined. The only way to change is with surgery.  

Tuberous features?

+1

Your breasts have some characteristics of a tuberous breast. The areola are quite large with high breast folds and wide spaced breasts. An implant and lift with circumareola sutures may  help, but an exam is critical. 

Unusual breast shapes

+1

I would agree with some of the responses that the term used to describe the shape of your breast is "tuberous". This comes in many varieties and degrees and can affect one breast more than the other. In your case you have bulging of breast tissue into the areola (not the nipple) with constriction of the breast tissue in the lower half of the breast.

Breast implants which are essentially a pillow of volume behind the breast are what can fill out the lower pole of the breast if it is not too ptotic (saggy), and the inframammary crease level can be lowered somewhat. Generally, the minimum size implant that would fit would increase the breast by about a cup size but would do nothing for the nipple-areola and the tissue behind it. This area would be treated by a peri-areolar mastopexy which is one of the few things a peri-areolar mastopexy is actually good for. I would not recommend doing the two procedures at the same time. If you are satisfied with the size of your breasts then just do the peri-areolar mastopexy. You could consider the implant later. If you do the implants first then you could consider the peri-areolar mastopexy later. 

The nipple is a separate issue and I doubt piercing it will do much more than it normally does including that it will not make the nipple stick out. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Thanks for the excellent picture, as my colleagues have already stated you have tuberous breasts.  I reccomend you see a plastic surgeon with alot of experience.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Constricted breast

+1

You have described  features that describe a "tuberous breast"

• large puffy areolae
  • unusual, tirangular shape

Other features, some of which are apparent in your photo, include

• widely spaced breasts
  • high breast folds with ptosis (sagging)
  • narrow breast base
  • diminished tissue, especially in the lower poles.

Yes this can be improved by surgery. A breast lift is the minimum, though this would be a more complex lift that the average one. If increased breast size is chosen as part of the correction or improvement, and implant or fat transfer would be in order.

Thanks for the question and for the photo. Do see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Correction of tuberous breasts

+1

As stated below, you have tuberous breasts and possibly lower pole constriction.  Most cases like yours can be fixed with a peri-areolar mastopexy ("donut lift") and implants.  If the lower breast is constricted, then the fold under the breast may need to be lowered to improve the final appearance.   I have photos of a woman with a more severe deformity than yours on my website that may help you visualize what can be done to make your breasts fuller and more attractive.  Be sure to go to a plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has experience with your particular breast shape.  Hope it goes well.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

You have tuberous breasts and asymmetry

+1

It would be best to consult with a BCPS to discuss corrective surgery, which would probably be a breast lift (mastopexy) on each side. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Both the breast shape as well as the areola shape and size can be fixed

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  You appear to have a mild form of tubular breast with moderately large breasts.  There are many options to improve the shape of your areola and breasts.  The most important thing to consider however is what changes you would like to accomplish in terms of breast size, shape, and areola appearance.  Once you have accomplished this you should seek a consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons to get some information about the advantages and disadvantages of the procedures available.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD