Why Does Hyperpigmentation Occur After Breast Reduction and Lift? Can It Be Due to Improper Dressing Change?

Hyperpigmentation after reduction mammoplasty does not cause my dressing changes

+1

Thank you for your question. Hyperpigmentation after surgery is a natural response to inflammation in some, but not all people. Technically it is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Fortunately it is almost always temporary. However it can be reduced with skin bleaching agents, IPL or laser treatments in cases where it is prolonged.

Hyperpigmnet post reduction

+1

After any incision is made there will be a scar.Usially it is red but anytime there is inflammation and an incision is one example there can be hyperpigmentation.There are bleaching creams available.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation.

+1

Hyperpigmentation is due to the natural melanin content of one's skin. It is not affected by dressing changes. There are treatment options for hyperpigmentation, but the best option is to wait at least a year as most hyperpigmentation of scars diminishes over time.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation after Breast lift/reduction

+1

I am assuming that you are referring to the redness of the scars following breast reduction/lift.  I have not seen a patient with hyperpigmentation of their skin following this surgery.  The redness in the scars comes from the new blood supply growing across the scar.  Over time, this should fade.  Generally speaking, it should take about a year to a year and a half for the scar to fully flatten, fade, and mature.  Some scars may remain dark even after a sufficient time has passed.  I don't really know why that happens.  There are a number of scar improvement creams/treatments on the market.  I'm not sure that any of them work exceptionally well.  I think time is the best treatment.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Hello

+1

Hyperpigmentation has nothing to do with the dressing. It is hard to give you adequate advice without seeing you in person. Surgery is not in exact science, not everyone’s results are the same.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS