What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat? (photo)

I've struggled to get rid of it through diet and exercise without any luck. I figured it was badly distributed fat all these years, but now I'm hearing it could actually be migrated breast tissue from wearing the wrong bra size. Well, either way it's an eyesore. Whether it's fat or tissue, what can I do about it? Maybe lipo? Or excision? Thanks in advance for your help.

How to remove bulging fat next to breasts? (photos)

+3

In my experience, this small bulge of fat, which may indeed represent supernumerary breast tissue, is usually very soft, free of fibrous stroma, and responds well to syringe liposuction in the office.  Post surgical compression is indicated (custom fitted or sized elastic bra, vest, or elastic bandages to apply gentle pressure for prevention of bleeding and control of swelling).  Direct surgical excision reserved, in my opinion, for much larger bulges.

Armpit fat is really breast tissue and needs excision.

+3

You appear to have what is known as an axillary breast.  As an embryo, everyone has a " breast line" which runs from the armpit, through where the normal breast is and down as low as the groin.  Breast tissue can develop anywhere along this line.  It is relatively common to have it develop in  the armpit area.  As it is partially breast tissue and fiberous, it is hard to remove it with liposuction alone and resection is usually needed.  The trade off is a small scar which should be well hidden.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Removal of armpit fat with liposuction - Los Angeles

+2

Armpit or pre-axillary fat can respond well to conservative liposuction to remove the excess fat. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Armpit Fat Removal

+2

Contouring this area with liposuction may help. Some of this fat could be from excess breast tissue which has more limitations. Consult your plastic surgeon who can assess your anatomy and give you recommendations.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Armpit fat removal

+2
I have had good success with contouring this area with liposuction alone. However, if there is breast tissue in this area, the amount of correction will be limited. The area that you are showing in your photograph appears that it would improve with liposuction

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat?

+2

You are rtight that the excess tissue is uaually breast tissue. It cannot be aspirated or sucked out, it requires surgical excision with a scar. You need to decide which you would prefer. Many patients prefer a scar with the improved contour, others choose to avoid the scar.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction can improve armpit fat

+1
I recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to examine the area and go over your options. If the bulge is indeed fat and not breast tissue, it can be improved greatly with liposuction. Since this is such a small area, the procedure could likely be done under local anesthesia. 

David Rapaport, MD

Liposuction can help

+1
Exercise and a healthy diet probably won't be effective in improving this area as much as you'd like. Liposuction can help smooth down this area. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction or Surgical Resection to Treat Arm Pit Fat

+1

The treatment of pre axillary folds is dependent upon the cause of the problem. In some cases it may be secondary to excess fat. Under these circumstances, the fat bulges outward from the edge of the patient’s bra and is very noticeable. In other cases, the bulge may actually be secondary to accessory breast tissue. When this situation occurs, the size of the mass may fluctuate with the menstrual cycle.

The treatment of pre-axillary folds is dependent upon the cause of the condition. Although your pictures illustrate the problem, they aren’t helpful in determining the actual cause of the condition. This usually requires a physical exam. During physical examination, breast tissue will be noted to be firmer and more fibrous than fatty tissue.

When fatty tissue is encountered in the pre axillary region, liposuction will often provide correction of the problem. When breast tissue is encountered in this area, more aggressive procedures are usually necessary. In most cases, surgical resection of the tissue will prove to be necessary.

If you’re concerned about pre axillary folds, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat?Answr:

+1

My private scrub tech Sheila calls them "arm pit shrimps" cause they look like little shrimps taped under the arms..hmmm..But I understand what doctors are telling you about it being breast tissue and I'm sure that's is correct. However I have had really good luck treating this area with just liposuction. A lot of breast tissue is fat and some doctors routinely reduce breast size using just liposuction so why not here!!! Again, I have seen great improvement and women really seem happy...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon