What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat? (photo)

I've struggled to get rid of it through diet and exercise without any luck. I figured it was badly distributed fat all these years, but now I'm hearing it could actually be migrated breast tissue from wearing the wrong bra size. Well, either way it's an eyesore. Whether it's fat or tissue, what can I do about it? Maybe lipo? Or excision? Thanks in advance for your help.

How to remove bulging fat next to breasts? (photos)

+3

In my experience, this small bulge of fat, which may indeed represent supernumerary breast tissue, is usually very soft, free of fibrous stroma, and responds well to syringe liposuction in the office.  Post surgical compression is indicated (custom fitted or sized elastic bra, vest, or elastic bandages to apply gentle pressure for prevention of bleeding and control of swelling).  Direct surgical excision reserved, in my opinion, for much larger bulges.

Armpit fat is really breast tissue and needs excision.

+3

You appear to have what is known as an axillary breast.  As an embryo, everyone has a " breast line" which runs from the armpit, through where the normal breast is and down as low as the groin.  Breast tissue can develop anywhere along this line.  It is relatively common to have it develop in  the armpit area.  As it is partially breast tissue and fiberous, it is hard to remove it with liposuction alone and resection is usually needed.  The trade off is a small scar which should be well hidden.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Removal of armpit fat with liposuction - Los Angeles

+2

Armpit or pre-axillary fat can respond well to conservative liposuction to remove the excess fat. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Armpit Fat Removal

+2

Contouring this area with liposuction may help. Some of this fat could be from excess breast tissue which has more limitations. Consult your plastic surgeon who can assess your anatomy and give you recommendations.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Armpit fat removal

+2
I have had good success with contouring this area with liposuction alone. However, if there is breast tissue in this area, the amount of correction will be limited. The area that you are showing in your photograph appears that it would improve with liposuction

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat?

+2

You are rtight that the excess tissue is uaually breast tissue. It cannot be aspirated or sucked out, it requires surgical excision with a scar. You need to decide which you would prefer. Many patients prefer a scar with the improved contour, others choose to avoid the scar.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What Can I Do About my Armpit Fat?Answr:

+1

My private scrub tech Sheila calls them "arm pit shrimps" cause they look like little shrimps taped under the arms..hmmm..But I understand what doctors are telling you about it being breast tissue and I'm sure that's is correct. However I have had really good luck treating this area with just liposuction. A lot of breast tissue is fat and some doctors routinely reduce breast size using just liposuction so why not here!!! Again, I have seen great improvement and women really seem happy...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the armpit area does make a big improvement !

+1

Liposuction under local anesthesia does make a big improvement in the bulges all around the armpit (front,center, and back). Recovery is fast and the procedure is easy to undergo. Fat and fibrous tissue both are usually removed and doesn't leave any ugly scars. Cost is roughly $4,000 on special and is so worth it. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon