IV Sedation Jitters For Upcoming Lipo. Is This Safe?

I will be having Liposuction Performed on my Abdomen and Love handles i was told I will be getting a IV sedation is this safe? I had General Anesthesia for Breast Reduction but im kinda nervous are the meds the same?

IV sedation is very safe and effective for liposuction procedures

+2

Dear Missy,  I understand your concerns with regards to your upcoming surgery.  Liposuction can be done under a general anaesthetic, IV sedation (a neurolept anaesthetic) or just local anaesthesia, depending on the size of the area that is being treated.  At the time of your procedure, local anaesthesia and tumescent formula will be used.  Tumescent formula is a mixture of an IV fluid (ringers lactate), local freezing (xylocaine) and a medicine that decreases swelling and bruising (epinephrine).  This medicine is placed in the fat that is going to be liposuctioned and makes the procedure completely comfortable.  The neurolept is used at the beginning of the case to allow this medicine to be infiltrated without discomfort and occasionally during the procedure if you feel anxious or have any discomfort.  You will be given suplimental oxygen and all the same monitors and safety equipment will be employed during IV sedation that were used during your general anaesthetic.  Many patients find that the IV sedation is a very enjoyable experience and the recovery is even less than one experiences with the GA.  Start looking forward to your new shape.  Dr. Scott Barr

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

IV Sedation Jitters For Upcoming Lipo

+2

IV Sedation can be a safe alternative to general anesthesia for liposuction. One of the determinants whether to use general anesthesia or iv sedation is the scope of the work. If the same surgeon is performing the liposuction as did the breast reduction, then you can ask him why he/she wishes to alter the anesthesia to be used.  For added comfort, you can request to speak with the anesthesiologist.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

You have some great choices, pure local anesthesia without IV sedation for liposuction gives great results with great comfort.

+1

Its not always about being put to sleep, but about choosing with your doctor what might be best for you,its almost about the preference and style  of how the doctor you have chosen, or choose does their procedures. For many doctors pure local anesthesia, which we call tumescence, is the way every single one of our procedures is performed, with maybe a pill to take for your nerves, ie usually ativan. but how the tumescence is done really does matter, for us BODY JET or its other name AQUA LIPO, has been great in gaining great patient comfort using pure local anesthesia without any need for IV sedation. And remember, its all about loosing the fat, so if you are afraid of the risks of liposuction whether asleep or awake, then you now have not one but two great FDA approved choices for noninvasive fat removal, ie move over liposuction, LIPOSONIX, and COOL SCULPTING.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

A little IV sedation for liposuction is far safer than general anesthesia.

+1

As you read everywhere now, the trend is that liposuctions by the expert liposuction surgeons are being done under tumescent local anesthesia by itself or with a little IV sedation which works just fine and makes for a pleasant experience with a huge safety factor and faster recovery and usually better results. Many docs who still do the old fashioned lipo under gen anesthesia with big brutal canulas don't tend to know how to inject tumescent local anesthesia in a painless fashion so they tell their patients it is a painful procedure that way when just the opposite is true. Also under gen anesthesia, you can't stand the patients up or have them sit up or turn in all the positions to see and work on the lipo areas easily and meticulously to get the best results.  Don't be worried. You should have a great experience.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

IV sedation is safe

+1

Intravenous sedation is safe.  It should be administered by a board certified anesthesiologist in an accredited facility.  Depending on how much sedation is given, you may sleep or doze through the procedure.  The type of anesthesia used should depend upon the length and extent of the procedure. For larger liposuctions, general is a reasonable alternative.  If you are anxious about sedation, you could certainly discuss this option with your plastic surgeon.  IV sedation typically involves a drug "cocktail" which is adjusted during the procedure to keep the patient comfortable.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

If you are haveing the surgery in a fully accredited surgical facility and the IV sedation is given by a board certified anesthesiologist, it is quite safe. Remember IV sedation does not help pain and if the local anesthesia is inadequate for any reason and you have pain during the surgery you have two options, grit your teeth or stop the procedure without finishing. I have found for the most part large area liposuction is best done with the patient asleep, and equally safe under the conditions mentioned above. Many places that give sedation do so because general anesthesia is not available at their facility.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

IV sedation for liposuction is safe

+1
I routinely offer intravenous sedatkon for lipo cases and it is very safe if given by a qualified anestbesia provider in an accredited surgical facility. Remember that liposuction is surgery. I believe that IV sedation is both safer and more comfortable for the patient than local only, especially for larger cases.

Richard Baxter, MD

Sedation worries for liposuction

+1

The type of anesthesia used for liposuction can depend on the area treated or the overall size of the area. Both general anesthesia, or a sedation can be very safe, however the key is in who provides the sedation, and how the sedation is monitored. Sedation monitored by a physician anesthesiologist, or a CRNA give you the assurance that someone is looking after you while your surgeon looks after the liposuction.

IV sedation

+1

The safest and most comfortable surgery is under general anesthesia. However that has to be done in a hospital or in an accredited C facility. Liposuction under IV sedation needs a very experienced anesthesiologist and the ability in the facility to convert it to general anesthesia if the situation requires it. Do your due diligence.

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon