Will Lipo Have a Negative Effect on Core Strength?

I am close to my ideal weight, but have a little bit of fat on lower abs and love handles. As a powerlifter, I am afraid that lipo will have a negative effect on my core and I will lose strength.

Liposuction and core strength

+2

Thanks for your inquiry.  Liposuction will decrease the thickness of your fat, but should not affect the strength of the abdominal wall.  Be warned, as an avid lifter, many surgeons including myself would like you to cease strenous physical activity for a few weeks for healing to take place. Good luck

+2

Liposuction will not have any negative effect on your strength, but if your fat layer is fairly thin it is possible you could get some visible skin irregularities from the liposuction. It does not happen very often, but is something you should give thought to.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction will not have any negative effect on core strenght.

+1

Liposuction won't negatively affect your core strenght and the improvement in your appearance may actually make you feel better and enjoy your workouts more to improve your strenght. I have patients start work outs 1 week after local anesthesia liposculpting since you get faster recovery and great results.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction effects on muscle strength

+1

No. Liposuction will not affect your core strength.

Strength comes from muscle. Liposuction removes fat.

BUT the muscles under the liposuction are irritated.

Muscles may go into spasm and hurt.

My advice to my patients - stretch as much as possible.

No aerobic exercise until the pain from liposuction is gone.

But walking is usually fine. Enjoy your result!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction and core strength

+1

Liposuction only treats the fat layer beneath the skin, it had no effect on your core or abdominal muscles. It does not treat or affect the fat under the abdominal muscles that is contained around the intra -abdominal organs.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and abdominal strength

+1

Liposuction involves removing the fat in the layer above the muscle and below the skin.  Since nothing is done to your abdominal muscles, it should not affect your core strength.  However, since you are an athlete, your fat layer may be very thin which will make achieving a good result with no contour irregularities a challenge.  Be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon about your options regarding liposuction of your abdomen and love handles.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon