Mucous cyst on my inner upper lip?

was told by a dermotologist that i had a mucous cyst in the inside of my upper lip the size of a small pea. he gave me 3 injections in 3 visits of i believe a steroid. it did not go away but it shrunk a little. he said if it gets uncomfortable or gets larger come back. i notoice that sometimes it gets smaller then goes back to original size. it does not hurt , now i have a habit of touching it with my tongue. should i leave it alone or have it removed?

Cyst in mouth

+2

I would suggest you see an oral surgeon and show them the lesion to insure you are adequately advise on how to approach it.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Mucous cysts of the lip

+2

some times patients bite the mucous cysts of tehir lips and this can create days of soreness. These cysts often go away on their own but when they grow and are persistent and troublesome for patients they are often removed surgically. Dermatologists, plastic surgeons and oral surgeons remove them. consult with one of these specialists to learn of the advantages of the removal vs. the risks and to see if you're a candidate for surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Mucus cyst on lip

+2

Most people will find that when they have something even slightly abnormal on their lips or in their mouth, the tendency is to play with it. So, even though a mucocele isn't dangerous, this is why they are often removed. It's a fairly easy procedure when done by a dermatologic surgeon or Mohs surgeon. Should you choose not to have it removed, it may swell on and off. This is normal, but can be annoying.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mucocele

+2

You likely have a mucocele (can't say without an actual examination). In my experience these usually do well with excision which a surgically oriented dermatologist (Mohs surgeon) can do fairly easy and under local anesthesia. Insurance generally covers this. It is generally ok to leave but they can grown and become more of a bother with time. Good luck.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Mucus cyst

+2

If it is simply a mucus cyst, it is not dangerous to your health, so it is safe to leave it where it is.

Having said that, removal is a fairly simple procedure with relatively few risks. So if it bothers you, there is very little downside to having it removed, and insurance will likely pay for the procedure.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Mucous Cysts On The Inner Lips Respond Well To Electrocautery

+1

If indeed we are talking about a mucous cyst of the lips, there is a chance that it will spontaneously disappear left alone (which means not manipulating it constantly or continually biting it accidentally) given enough time. For those less patient or who cannot resist the temptation to play with it, I have found simple destruction using electrocautery to be a quick and efficient means of eliminating this nuisance problem. This method is by no means a new approach and was already discussed when I was the Guest Editor of "Diseases Of The Mucous Membranes" published by Lippincott nearly thirty years ago.

To minimize the discomfort of removal in this tender area, the lip can be first sprayed with a topical dental anesthetic, then locally anesthetized. The actual treatment takes less than minutes to perform and complete healing usually takes only a couple of days. And so long as the cyst is fully confined to the mucous membrane region, there is little or no visible resultant scarring after healing.

You must seek a board certified dermatologist with experience with treating mucous membranes and the use of electrocautery within the mouth.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD