What Kind of Treatment Should I Seek for Post Inflammation from an Acne Cyst? (photo)

hI i made the error of not realizing that my pimple was actually an acne cyst. I squeeze it not realizing the damage Now the skin is red/I have been applying aquaphor and cloderm on it. I want to see a different dermatologist than the one who I usually see, because I dont have much confidence in him to treat this sort of thing. I am wondering what kind of treatment I should seek? I do not have acne regularly. this was a reaction to something I included in my diet, which I have stopped consuming

Inflamatory acne on the face

Inflamed (red) acne can leave permanent marks (either scars or pigmentation changes). The key thing is to see a dermatologist and deal with your acne and decrease inflammation from it.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

10665 Jasper Ave NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 3S9

Treatment of persistent acne cyst

I am sorry to learn of your struggles.  I do feel that you should seek the opinion of a highly experienced dermatologist in whom you have confidence.  Acne cysts can be challenging to treat but there are some measures that can be taken which should lead to improvement.  This is not likely to resolve of its own accord so I recommend seeking treatment sooner rather than later

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

345 23rd Ave N
Nashville, TN 37203

Treatment for Inflammed Acne

Thanks for your question and thanks for sending in your photo – it helps. You need to see a board certified dermatologist to examine this lesion as there is still some sort of inflammation going on in the middle and some light area, or hypopigmentation on the edges, which may mean that there is still a lot of inflammation there. Some careful attention needs to be given here, and you may need a steroid injection in the middle area (very small amount) and then some appropriate topical antibiotic to the rest of the lesion. It looks like this can be taken care of but I would get into an office sooner than later to prevent any long term problems from occurring.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

2000 Richard Jones Rd.
Nashville, TN 37215

Acne cyst treatment

An examination is needed to direct treatment. A combination of local wound care and/or a cortisone injection may be indicated. It is not clear what is causing the hypopigmentation, and that is what requires an examination to gauge the process.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Cyst with hypo pigmentation and inflammation

It appears that the cyst in the picture is still inflamed. For that I would recommend you see a dermatologist as you will benefit from topical and even short course of systemic antibiotics. If this is a recurrent problem, a regimen with retinoids and topical antibiotics to prevent recurrence and improve the current condition is important.

Marta I. Rendon, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologist

1001 NW 13th Street
Boca Raton, FL 33436

Time, time, time...this will make the difference

You have PIH with H as the Hypopigmentation, I can also notice it is red. Now, time, and sunscreen will be your best treatment. Sunscreen will prevent or reduce the red areas going darker. The white areas should repigment with time. 

If you have an experienced dermatologist who is confident to treat skin of colour, V Beam laser to the red areas can help reduce the inflammation, and stimulate collagen. Even with your skin type, pulse dye laser is possible. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

185 Moggill Road
Brisbane, QLD 4068

Treating irritated acne cyst

• Find a good Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon,
  • The cyst is either irritated, infected or both.
  • You may need antibiotics.
  • Steroids will reduce inflammation.
  • You may end up needing the cyst sac removed - if it persists after 3 - 6 months. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Cystic Acne in the Cheek

I would consider some oral and topical antibiotics first. Then if it doesn't get better possibly adding some steroids to the lesion in an injectible form. I would avoid aggresive invasive treatment at this time.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Topical Steroid for acne inflammation

Thank you for your question. You should see a board certified Dermatologist. They will often prescribe topical steroids or in some cases inject steroids to treat post acne inflamation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116