What Kind of Treatment Should I Seek for Post Inflammation from an Acne Cyst? (photo)

hI i made the error of not realizing that my pimple was actually an acne cyst. I squeeze it not realizing the damage Now the skin is red/I have been applying aquaphor and cloderm on it. I want to see a different dermatologist than the one who I usually see, because I dont have much confidence in him to treat this sort of thing. I am wondering what kind of treatment I should seek? I do not have acne regularly. this was a reaction to something I included in my diet, which I have stopped consuming

Cyst with hypo pigmentation and inflammation

+1
It appears that the cyst in the picture is still inflamed. For that I would recommend you see a dermatologist as you will benefit from topical and even short course of systemic antibiotics. If this is a recurrent problem, a regimen with retinoids and topical antibiotics to prevent recurrence and improve the current condition is important.

Palm Beach Dermatologist

Time, time, time...this will make the difference

+1
You have PIH with H as the Hypopigmentation, I can also notice it is red. Now, time, and sunscreen will be your best treatment. Sunscreen will prevent or reduce the red areas going darker. The white areas should repigment with time. 

If you have an experienced dermatologist who is confident to treat skin of colour, V Beam laser to the red areas can help reduce the inflammation, and stimulate collagen. Even with your skin type, pulse dye laser is possible. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Treating irritated acne cyst

+1
  • Find a good Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon,
  • The cyst is either irritated, infected or both.
  • You may need antibiotics.
  • Steroids will reduce inflammation.
  • You may end up needing the cyst sac removed - if it persists after 3 - 6 months. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Cystic Acne in the Cheek

+1
I would consider some oral and topical antibiotics first. Then if it doesn't get better possibly adding some steroids to the lesion in an injectible form. I would avoid aggresive invasive treatment at this time.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Topical Steroid for acne inflammation

+1

Thank you for your question. You should see a board certified Dermatologist. They will often prescribe topical steroids or in some cases inject steroids to treat post acne inflamation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS