Solution for Dark Mosquito Bite Scars on Legs?

I came from the Philippines and as a child, I itched and scratched my mosquito bites, which resulted to many scars mainly on my legs. I have huge dark scars, some as big as a quarter. Is there a kind of scar removal that will work for me? I would love to wear skirts or pants that don't go down to my ankles without being so self-conscious someday. Thanks in advance.

Hyperpigmentation regimen for dark leg spots

+1
I frequently see patients with dark spots on their legs as a result of mosquito bites, scratches, or generalized eczema. These hyperpigmented scars can be improved by a regimen of prescription topical hydroquinone and retinoids. I also recommend a chemical peel to expedite the process of color equilibration.
At this time, I would recommend the Melarase Skin Brightening Complex, including Melarase AM and Melarase PM. This should help lighten and even out the dark spots on the legs.

Web reference: http://karemd.com/cosmetic-dermatology/11/scar-treatment.aspx

Seek a consultation with a dermatologist

+1

It is difficult to know what is the exact cause. Generally prolonged inflammation may produce hyperpigmentation that typically resolves with time. This is not necessarily the same as hormone induced hyperpigmentation. It may benefit from bleaching agents. However it may require more agressive treatments.

I would recommend seeking the services of a dermatologist to discuss your options.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.