I Am 8 Months Post Op - Should I Be This Swollen (I Have Thick Skin!)?

Hi doctors, I really appreciate this site being available for those in similar situations to myself. Please could you help in any way... I am 8 months post-op.. I had a nasal tip reduction under local aneseathetic and I am still terribly swollen. I had visited my surgeon after 1 week / 1 month / 3 months / 7 months. He is convinced my swelling will go down by May when I hit my 12 months mark, I am somewhat unconvinced and I have asked for steroid injections, to which he has refused. help!!

Recovery from Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal surgery recovery is very variable from human to human and that it can take even longer than a year for things to return to normal. I have seen some noses take as long as three years before the intermittent swelling subsided. You will have some good days and some bad days. Avoid excessive salt intake, heavy sun exposure without sunblock,and high alcohol consumption as all these can lead to prolonged delay in resolution of the after effects of surgery ....especially to the tip. Avoid kenolog injections to your nose at all cost.!

Swelling following rhinoplasty

+1

Patients with thick skin tend to have more swelling than patients who do not have thick skin. The final result of rhinoplasty is not typically evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling resolves after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether the procedure was open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it can take some time. It is not abnormal to still have swelling after 8 months, especially if you have thick skin. From here, I would recommend seeing how you continue to heal and take the advice provided by your surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Thick skin and nasal swelling

+1

Nasal swelling can persist for a year or more in some patients. Your thick skin and having an open rhinoplasty may contribute to this.

Thick Skin Rhinoplasty Healing

+1

It would be helpful to provide some photos for review. The reality is that thicker skin can be more problematic and challenging when it comes to rhinoplasty healing. In many cases, a series of steroid injections can help mold the healing process.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 8 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

As crazy as it sounds, 4 months may make quite a difference.   The tip is always the last area to improve.  Yes, thick skin takes longer.  Steroid injections carry risks as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling 8 months after rhinoplasty

+1

It can take 6-12 months for the swelling to go down after rhinoplasty, and the tip is normally the area in which the swelling takes the longest to subside.  Given the fact that you have thick skin, I would expect the swelling to take longer than usual to go down.  It is not unreasonable to wait another 4 months and re-evaluate your appearance at that time.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon