8 Months Post Gyno Surgery - Will my Internal Scar Tissue Disappear? (photo)

I had Gynecomastia surgery 8 months ago. As you can see from my photos I have developed internal scar tissue. My nipples are puffier than they we're before my operation. I can feel that the scar under my left nipple is no bigger than my areola in diameter, where as my right is significantly larger in diameter but slightly flatter and slightly less noticeable. Why? What are my options? Is cortisone injections a good option? If I re-excise wont the scarring just reappear? Please help!

Male breast reduction with left over fullness

+2

The fullness might be scar, but more likely is some leftover breast tissue.  Its important to leave some tissue under the areola so it doesn't "cave in" and sometimes it is difficult to get it exactly right.  An exam by your surgeon will help to differentiate scar from left over tissue.

If it is scar, steroid injections and massage might help.  If it turns out to be a little too much tissue, a revision may be the right answer.  Revisions shouldn't be done too soon, so be patient. 

I don't think you need to rule out revision for fear of more scar formation, if that is what you decide with your surgeon.

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Revisional Gynecomastia Surgery: A Good Option

+1

Your photos demonstrate that you likely have additional breast tissue in the chest area.  Sometimes, scar tissue can exacerbate this appearance.  Steroid injections alone are unlikely to solve the problem.  Additional breast tissue excess under the nipple is also supported by the enlarged areola, which is stretched by the breast tissue.  It would be a good idea to see your surgeon or a second opinion by an exerienced, board-certified plastic surgeon

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Appearance after Surgery

+1

It appears that you have retained tissue after the surgery.I do not have any details on your surgery so I am not able to comment further. I suggest you contact your surgeon or seek a second opinion with someone who has experience with gynecomastia

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Residual Tissue after Male Breast Reduction

+1

After 8 months, you may have residual tissue, but this would be difficult to determine without an exam.  With regard to widening of areola, this can occur as healing takes place.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male breast reduction Los Angeles, CA

8 Months Post Gyno Surgery - Will my Internal Scar Tissue Disappear?

+1

Yes I see the issue. First try the Kenalog injections over a 3 to 6 month time frame. Than if not improved get revision surgery. 

Gynecomastia

+1

I believe you need revisional surgery. You still have significant breast tissue and may be fat.

You can wait couple of months and see if there is any change.

Get another opinion

Gynecomastia

+1

You  may need revision of your gynecomastia procedure if not all the tissue was removed under the nipple. This can be more glandular tissue and difficult to treat without excision.