Excess Skin on Pectoral and Abdominal Area After Weight Loss? (photo)

I am 26 years old 6'0 feet tall. I've recently lost 120lbs going from 318lbs to 198lbs in 22 months. I dropped 101 in less than a year and the final 19lbs I slowly lost. I have a decent amount of excess skin left around the pectoral and lower abdominal areas, there seems to be no fat left behind just skin. I was wondering from the pictures I have posted what could be done, better yet what the surgery and recovery would be like and how much would it cost me to pursue the procedure.

Male breast reduction addresses gynecomastia

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss, 120 lbs. is certainly an accomplishment! Dramatic weight loss often results in excess skin that cannot be resolved through diet or exercise. You may be good candidate for male breast reduction surgery. This procedure applies liposuction to remove residual fat and surgical excision of glandular tissue and excess skin for a smoother chest. Other post-bariatric procedures can address other areas, but male breast reduction specifically targets the chest area to create a more masculine appearance. It’s best to schedule a cosmetic surgery consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your specific options, the associated costs, and recovery plan with a board certified plastic surgeon when planning your surgery.

Athens Plastic Surgeon

Fantastic Weight Loss/Now Excess Skin

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  In reference to your question you would need removal of the loose skin of your chest with removal of the nipple and areola and sewing it back on to the newly contoured chest.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Massive Weight Loss Gynecomastia Requires skin removal in most.

+1

Congrats on the weight loss - you have accomplished much. 

You are correct that exercise which indirectly and to a small degree fills out some of the skin by increasing underlying muscle bulk  cannot correct the redundancy that you have. The reason for this is that you can not exercise skin or return its lost elasticity and therefore you will need to reduce the excess skin for best results. There are a number of techniques available but most important is to choose your plastic surgeon wisely: make sure that he/she is board certified and experience with massive weight loss patients in addition to gynecomastia surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Gynecomastia and excess skin

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  As with other areas of the male body, the chest can develop loose skin after weight loss.  Gynecomastia surgery can address this loose skin by removing the extra skin with minimal scarring.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

ffWhat do I do with the excess skin on my breasts and abdomen following large weight loss?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. You, indeed, appear to have a lot of excess skin around the breasts along with sagging. You will need to have the breasts lifted and excess skin removed. But you try to accomplish this with minimal scarring. You should consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience with male breast reduction. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Excess Skin

+1

You have lost a large amount of weight which is great! You have a large amount of excess skin which needs to be addressed. You will require resection of some of the skin.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Skin Excess on Breasts after Weight Loss

+1

I would address the loose skin of your chest my removing the loose skin and repositioning the nipple areola complex.  Your abdomen appears to have much less skin from the pictures, but an exam would be necessary to make proper recommendations.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs many of these procedures every year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

+1

First, congratulations on the weight loss.  A 120 lb. loss is quite an accomplishment.  You are correct, in a male patient who has had a history of gynecomastia and weight loss, the excess skin and breast sagging can become an issue.  You would be a good candidate for a male breast reduction/breast lift.  One option would be to remove the excess skin along with the nipples and reattach the nipples as free skin grafts; however, with this procedure the nipples will be insensate and there is the risk that the nipples may not heal well.  Another option would be to keep the nipples attached to the underlying tissue, as is done in most breast reductions that are performed on women.  In this case, there is less risk that the nipples won't heal properly and a better chance that nipple sensation can be preserved.  The recovery time for either of these procedures would be about 3 to 4 weeks.  You could do light activities like desk work and driving in a few days post op.  Costs can vary based on the specific procedure and type of anesthesia.  Be certain to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction

+1

Congrats on the weight loss.  Male breast reduction can be as simple as liposuction but with your type of weight loss the skin reduction is the most important.  This is a fairly straight forward procedure with a free nipple graft.  A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and go over all the options and risks.  Again, Congrats!

Thomas P. McHugh, MD