Gynecomastia Recurrence After Surgery Not As Bad As Original Gyno?

I had lipo and excision 5 months ago. A couple of months before my surgery I quit propecia. I wasn't sure if the propecia contributed to my gyno or if happened because I put on some weight, so just to be safe I stopped. Turns out I still want to keep my hair. So my question is if I were to start back on propecia and develop gyno again, is it likely to be less severe than it was originally because I already had most of the gland (200cc I think) removed during the surgery? Thanks

Propecia Use

+1

As you may have guessed no one  is able to definitively answer your question.Each patient is unique.If your gynecomastia was related to Propecia it may recur to a variable extent with use of the drug.If your gynecomastia was not related to Propecia it will not make a difference.

Recurrence of Gynecomastia

+1

In gynecomastia surgery you are leaving a small amount of residual breast tissue under the areola to avoid creating a dished out appearance.  Therefore, any medication or nutritional supplement that cause cause swelling or hypertrophy to the breast tissue could affect the result down the road.  Likely, the Propecia is fine to use, just need to keep an eye on it.  More important is maintaining a stable weight.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Recurrence --Propecia

+1

With most of the actual breast tissue presumably removed at surgery, I would not expect much of a increase in the gynecomastia if the Propecia is resumed. Best wishes. 

Propecia and gynecomastia

+1

In gynecomastia surgery 99% of the gland is removed, but a small piece is kept under the areola to prevent its hollowing. Propecia can cause gynecomastia but you have most of your gland removed. I do not hink it would be a problem to resume the treatment. However you should be aware that maybe you can fill a slight puffiness under your areola. Not sure to happen, anyway.

Jesús Benito-Ruiz, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Propecia and gynecomastia

+1

With the breast tissue gone, Propecia should be ok to use.  I would agree with the other doctors.

Propecia and gynecomastia

+1

chances are if you start propecia again your breasts will get marginally bigger, but not as big as before.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Gynecomastia recurrence and Propecia use

+1

Although propecia  use can contribute to gynecomastia,  if you have had gynecomastia surgery, and the glandular tissue that was causing the problem has been removed, it should be safe to use propecia without causing the gynecomastia to return.  I agree with Dr. Wallach.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Propecia and gynecomastia

+1

Propecia can definitely contribute to gynecomastia and if you had surgery to remove the gland, the likelihood that it would come back is low.