Mole Removal for a 6 Year Old?

My daughter has a mole in her hair line that is flat but seems to be getting larger in diameter (it is a flat, dark mole). She is only 6 and is already aware that she doesn't like it growing there.

With the skin so thin and tight on her forehead, is there more harm than good in removing it? Would the scar be bigger/more noticeable than the mole?

Mole Removal for a 6 Year Old

+1

Typically, moles will grow as a child grows.  Moles do not necessarily need to be removed if they are "well-behaving" moles.  If, for example, the mole is changing in color or growing rapidly or irregularly pigmented or other symptoms develop, then it would be prudent to have the mole removed for microscopic evaluation.  As your daughter does not like the mole, the mole could be removed for cosmetic reasons.  There is no avoiding a scar when a mole is removed, but the scar may be hidden in the hairline depending on the location.  To fully excise the mole, the scar will tend to be longer than the mole diameter, but the scar may or may not be more noticeable depending on its location near the hairline.  (This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Seattle Dermatologist

Mole removal on the scalp to reduce surgical scarring and visibility of scars

+1

Some scalp moles or lesions may require early excision.  I would recommend an evaluation by a plastic surgeon to determine how to reduce the scarring after the procedure. 

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/70/mole-removal.aspx

Would Recommend excision

+1

If your child wants the mole removed, she is most likely going to be very co-operative. This is essential in operating on a child, since it spares the risk, though very small of general anesthesia.

Although melanoma is quite uncommon, it does occur. In fact, last week I examined a child who had had a melanoma excised a few years ago.
With good surgical technique their should be a minimal scar. Children actually heal quite well.
Virginia Beach Dermatologist