Moderate Vs High Profile Breast Implants to Retain Cup Size?

I am having Breast Implant revision next week due to capsular contracture from the first surgery 11 yrs ago. I have 430cc Saline breast implants under muscle at present and will go back with Silicone breast implants. I am trying to decide between 421cc moderate profile or 425cc high profile. I am currently a 36C and want to keep my same cup size just want a more natural appearance.

Choice of implants

+6

You are comparing a high profile and a medium profile implant. While the two implants have similar overall volumes, with about the same number of cc's, they will have different shapes.

The high profile one will be somewhat narrower from side to side, but rounder. It will give you more fullness and roundness in the upper part of the breast, but possibly less cleavage/ more of a gap. It will tend to look more like "the push up bra" look than the medium profile

The medium profile implant will tend to be a little wider, but give less fullness on the top. In our practice, this shape is a little more popular, but it's really a matter of patient preference. Both can look nice, when they are proportional to your frame, and placed by a skilled surgeon.

Do you know what shape (profile) your current implant is? If you are trying to maintain that exact look, use that information as your guideline.

Saline and Silicone breast imlant sizes- High vs moderate propfile breast implants

+5

usually saline impalnts are perkier than silicone implants. moderate profile breast impalnts give better cleavage and fullness of the upper pole than high profile implants. Also, breasts generally look flatter and smaller after a capsulectomy procedure. You should consider these points in deciding on the size of new breast implants.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Choosing between high profile vs moderate plus profile implants

+4

The difference between high profile and medium or moderate plus implants of the same volume is their shape. The highprofile is narrower withmore projection. It really depends upon your anatomy and whether or not you want more "side boob."

It depends on your proportions.

+3

Dear Doody,

The volume and profile is just part of the equation. Your surgeon needs to pick an implant that is appropriate for your proportions. The diameter of your breast, distance from nipple to infra mammary fold, and skin envelop characteristics are all important factors in deciding what implant would give you a natural appearance. There is only a 4cc difference in volume between your two implant choices but there is almost 1.5 cm difference in diameter and a 1cm difference in projection between the 421 and the 425cc implants. This could mean the difference between a natural and a "done" look to your breasts.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Moderate vs. High profile breast implants

+2

Once a patient has decided on a breast implant size, or a small range of sizes, by trying on implant sizers in a stretch bra, we generally decide on profiles (high vs. moderate plus vs. moderate) by determining which implant diameter (for that chosen size) best matches the patient's own breast diameter and the diameter or width of her chest wall.  There are times that either of two profiles (for example, moderate plus and high profile) would work...then, it would be a matter of whether the patient is looking for as much forward projection as possible for that given size (ie: high profile), or perhaps in a patient with a breast positioned lower on her chest, whether we need more diameter to give more fullness higher up in the upper pole of her breast and upper chest.  In actuality, in my practice, most patients get moderate plus profile implants (the middle profile) unless they have very narrow chests and breasts OR are choosing large implants for their frame.  Since saline implants tend to give a more "high profile" and, some would say, somewhat less natural look, patients who are used to this and like the more projecting look may tend towards a high profile implant if they switch to silicone gel.  For a more natural look, in general, a less projecting implant may be in order.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Moderate vs High Profile Breast Implants

+2

Both companies that make breast implants, Allergan and Mentor, have three styles of implants, low, moderate and high profile. High profile implants have a relatively small diameter with a greater projection to diameter ratio than the other implants. Low profile implants have a much lower projection to diameter ratio. Moderate are in between.

For a majority of patients the moderate profile implants look the most natural. High profile implants can work well in women with a narrow breast width. Low profile are good to add upper pole fullness in an augmentation mastopexy.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

How to Determine Implant Profile and Size

+1
I have found it most helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. This gives me detailed standardized views and information both qualitative (shape, perkiness) and qualitative (size) and allows me to discuss with my patients how I can best achieve their objectives as well as realistic expectations. For example, though I always tell my patients that I cannot make them exactly the same as a photo because everyone has different anatomical constraints. However, these ”ideal” breast photos are brought to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to best achieve their wishes. Even if the photo does not match their height or weight, I and most plastic surgeons are very good at translating the proportionality of the photo to your features.
I personally use sterile implant “sizers” (temporary implants) placed in the created implant pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you in both a sitting and lying down position. This also allows me the opportunity to modify the pocket to meet some of the more subtle shape features desired and allows me to decide if a high profile vs Moderate profile implant is best suited for my patients

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

What size breast Implants for a revision surgery?

+1
A plastic surgeon using biodimensional planning principals can help you best determine the ideal size, shape and placement  of your breasts implants. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

implant exchange

+1
It is difficult to determine whether or not a high-profile implant suit your needs.    Some of this is based on whether or not you had a high profile implant to begin with and how much that implant was filled at the time of surgery. Over the years with implants or without implants breasts tend to lose volume, and thus removing replacement of breast implants generally requires a slightly bigger implant than the previous one to account for some of the tissue loss and restore the volume. High-profile implants tend to give more upper pole fullness and projection while moderate plus or moderate implants tend to fill out the width of the breast better. Implant selection has become more and more confusing with a larger variety of implants available to the market today than 10 years ago. I would seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who's familiar with breast revision surgery to help you make your decision.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

What is the difference between profiles of round breast implants?

+1
For traditional round breast implants, there are three main measurements to consider: the diameter or width of the implant, the volume of the breast implant (measured in cubic centimeters or cc’s), and the profile of the implant. When looking an implant from the side, the profile refers to how much the implant will protrude from the chest wall. A higher profile implant is narrower but will protrude a greater distance from the chest wall. The lower profile implant has a wider base for the same total volume. In general, a higher profile implant will result in a more projecting and more “busty” look. Aside from patient preference in terms of the look you are going for, skin type is important for the surgeon to consider when helping you decide which profile breast implant will be best for you. Relatively loose, stretchy breast skin will more easily and more naturally accommodate a high profile breast implant, whereas breast skin that is very elastic and tight may not accommodate a high profile implant well.

Clay Forsberg, MD