Moderate Vs High Profile Breast Implants to Retain Cup Size?

I am having Breast Implant revision next week due to capsular contracture from the first surgery 11 yrs ago. I have 430cc Saline breast implants under muscle at present and will go back with Silicone breast implants. I am trying to decide between 421cc moderate profile or 425cc high profile. I am currently a 36C and want to keep my same cup size just want a more natural appearance.

Choice of implants

+5

You are comparing a high profile and a medium profile implant. While the two implants have similar overall volumes, with about the same number of cc's, they will have different shapes.

The high profile one will be somewhat narrower from side to side, but rounder. It will give you more fullness and roundness in the upper part of the breast, but possibly less cleavage/ more of a gap. It will tend to look more like "the push up bra" look than the medium profile

The medium profile implant will tend to be a little wider, but give less fullness on the top. In our practice, this shape is a little more popular, but it's really a matter of patient preference. Both can look nice, when they are proportional to your frame, and placed by a skilled surgeon.

Do you know what shape (profile) your current implant is? If you are trying to maintain that exact look, use that information as your guideline.

Saline and Silicone breast imlant sizes- High vs moderate propfile breast implants

+4

usually saline impalnts are perkier than silicone implants. moderate profile breast impalnts give better cleavage and fullness of the upper pole than high profile implants. Also, breasts generally look flatter and smaller after a capsulectomy procedure. You should consider these points in deciding on the size of new breast implants.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Choosing between high profile vs moderate plus profile implants

+4

The difference between high profile and medium or moderate plus implants of the same volume is their shape. The highprofile is narrower withmore projection. It really depends upon your anatomy and whether or not you want more "side boob."

It depends on your proportions.

+3

Dear Doody,

The volume and profile is just part of the equation. Your surgeon needs to pick an implant that is appropriate for your proportions. The diameter of your breast, distance from nipple to infra mammary fold, and skin envelop characteristics are all important factors in deciding what implant would give you a natural appearance. There is only a 4cc difference in volume between your two implant choices but there is almost 1.5 cm difference in diameter and a 1cm difference in projection between the 421 and the 425cc implants. This could mean the difference between a natural and a "done" look to your breasts.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Moderate vs High Profile Breast Implants

+2

Both companies that make breast implants, Allergan and Mentor, have three styles of implants, low, moderate and high profile. High profile implants have a relatively small diameter with a greater projection to diameter ratio than the other implants. Low profile implants have a much lower projection to diameter ratio. Moderate are in between.

For a majority of patients the moderate profile implants look the most natural. High profile implants can work well in women with a narrow breast width. Low profile are good to add upper pole fullness in an augmentation mastopexy.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Implant shape and style

+1
When considering a moderate vs high profile silicone implant you need to consider not only size but the shape of the implant. You need measurements taken of the breast prior to surgery which I'm sure your plastic surgeon did. This will dictate what implant style and size to use. The moderate  is a wider implant while the high profile projects more but has a narrow base.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

High Profile Implants

+1
Which is implant is “best” for each patient depends on several factors. Number one there is no one implant is perfect for every single patient. The great thing about technology in this day in age is that patients have a wide variety of implant choices. This allows the surgeon to find the implant that is going to help the patient reach her aesthetic goals. It is very important to be open with your plastic surgeon as to your goals in terms of size and appearance after your surgery. The various implant profiles allows your surgeon to use an implant that is going to match the width of your breast. As a plastic surgeon I want the implant to be the same width as the breast. Doing this allows me to give women the medial fullness that they desire without having the implant come out of the chest laterally. If the implant is too wide then it can make the patient appear to be heavier than she really is after her surgery. In terms of cup size I would not let that determine what implant to select. You want the implant that is going to fit your body and give you the volume that you desire. Sizing implants with your plastic surgeon will help you decide what volume is going to help you achieve the appearance you desire and then your surgeon can recommend an implant that will fit your body and achieve that look.

How to Determine Implant Profile and Size

+1
I have found it most helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. This gives me detailed standardized views and information both qualitative (shape, perkiness) and qualitative (size) and allows me to discuss with my patients how I can best achieve their objectives as well as realistic expectations. For example, though I always tell my patients that I cannot make them exactly the same as a photo because everyone has different anatomical constraints. However, these ”ideal” breast photos are brought to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to best achieve their wishes. Even if the photo does not match their height or weight, I and most plastic surgeons are very good at translating the proportionality of the photo to your features.
I personally use sterile implant “sizers” (temporary implants) placed in the created implant pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you in both a sitting and lying down position. This also allows me the opportunity to modify the pocket to meet some of the more subtle shape features desired and allows me to decide if a high profile vs Moderate profile implant is best suited for my patients

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

What size breast Implants for a revision surgery?

+1
A plastic surgeon using biodimensional planning principals can help you best determine the ideal size, shape and placement  of your breasts implants. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

implant exchange

+1
It is difficult to determine whether or not a high-profile implant suit your needs.    Some of this is based on whether or not you had a high profile implant to begin with and how much that implant was filled at the time of surgery. Over the years with implants or without implants breasts tend to lose volume, and thus removing replacement of breast implants generally requires a slightly bigger implant than the previous one to account for some of the tissue loss and restore the volume. High-profile implants tend to give more upper pole fullness and projection while moderate plus or moderate implants tend to fill out the width of the breast better. Implant selection has become more and more confusing with a larger variety of implants available to the market today than 10 years ago. I would seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who's familiar with breast revision surgery to help you make your decision.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD