How Long Before Incision from Breast Augmentation Heals?

I recently had a revision done through crease incision for one side of my breast. Because I have very very thin skin, I am concerned about the breast implant breaking layers of skin. What suggestions / ideas do you have to keep the pressure of the implant off the incision until it heals?

I am wearing a support bra although it can be uncomfortable because the band is at where the incision is. Normally, how long will it take for the incision to completely heal and seal? Your opinion would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

Complete healing is relative

+3

Usually the incision is healed enough to allow one to remove sutures and get the incision wet within a few days. However, the strength of the scar is a dynamic issue and changes as time passes. There is also modification of the collagen as the scar matures. Most patients should be able to resume active exercise within 3 weeks or so but you should be mindful of irritation to the scar. Your surgeon should be able to guide your specific case as he knows the anatomy of your revision and the size of your implants.

Initial healing on its way by 1 week, most deep healing is done within 4-6 weeks

+3

Hi,

Every incision through the layers of skin needs some time to heal. The superficial healing is done within a week, but the deeper healing may take 4-6 weeks. During this period of time, don't worry -- your implant should not break the skin. Sometimes a very large and heavy implant can cause the incision to stretch slightly as it heals, however. Wearing a support bra is helpful. I would avoid an underwire bra as this will irritate your incision. If the band hits your incision and this is painful, you can put a small piece of gauze or cotton at that site to take some of the pressure off the incision. Within a month after surgery this should become much more comfortable. Good luck!

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Few weeks to several months

+3

It could take 6 month for the wound to gain near maximum intensity. However, in 3-6 weeks your wound should reach a stable stage. The remodeling of the scar will continue to occur until full healing. Wearing support bra with no underwire is a good way to avoid too much pressure on the incision.hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Breast Implant Extrusion and Incision Disruption

+3

Breast implant revision can involve incising a previous incision site. In your particular case, extrusion of the implant through the incision site can be prevented by meticulous layered closure of the underlying muscle and soft tissue. Extrusion is rare, but can occur with severely atrophied breast parenchyma.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Incision heals quickly, scar matures slower

+2

Your incision is completely heled within two weeks, but the scar can undergo changes for up to a year.  If your bra is putting pressure on the incision, consider finding one whenre the elastic is lower on the chest and you can also place a piece of guaze over the incision to relieve some of the pressure.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Healing after breast augmentation reivision

+2

Implant extrusion is very rare after breast augmentation.  Incisions are usually closed in couple layers of sutures.  Unless your skin is really thin without much breast tissue, implants should not extrude.  The incision will be "healed"  within a week; however, scar will continue to remodel and gain strength for next 6- 12 months.

Sugene Kim, MD

6 Weeks

+1
If the bra is uncomfortable, it is probably too tight.  One of the biggest problems with the crease incisions that the implant is lying directly on the wound.  You need proper nutrition, and to minimize your physical activity.  It typically takes 6 weeks before the wound has reached significant strength.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision and Healing

+1
As long as you are healthy and have no conditions that impact your immune system (such as diabetes), and you don't take medications that affect wound healing (like corticosteroids), and you don't expose your body to substances that compromise the blood supply (such as nicotine, cocaine, and methamphetamine), you should be able to heal even with thin skin. However, a bra can break down the skin through pressure if it doesn't fit well. I ask my patients not to wear underwire bras or bras that rub the incision for six weeks. 

If your support bra's band is where the incision is, discuss with your surgeon if you should get another bra, pad the area with gauze, or cut through the band so it no longer affects the incision. 

After six weeks, your scar should be strong enough to withstand normal bras and activities.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Incision healing time

+1
The crease incision is recommended for silicone implants and allows proper placement of the implant in the submuscular pocket. I find the incision will heal very quickly and look better in a few days. However, the scar healing can improve up to a year after surgery and maybe longer if you have had a revision. The use of scar creams is also very helpful

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Healing of incision

+1
Most incision are healed well enough to handle any activity, excluding tanning, at 6 weeks.  However, please avoid any push-up bra and an overly tight bra.  Scar products will be helpful once your tapes are removed. You might find a support bra that has a band that sits lowers on your chest to avoid too much pressure on the scar.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon