How Long Before Incision from Breast Augmentation Heals?

I recently had a revision done through crease incision for one side of my breast. Because I have very very thin skin, I am concerned about the breast implant breaking layers of skin. What suggestions / ideas do you have to keep the pressure of the implant off the incision until it heals?

I am wearing a support bra although it can be uncomfortable because the band is at where the incision is. Normally, how long will it take for the incision to completely heal and seal? Your opinion would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

Few weeks to several months

It could take 6 month for the wound to gain near maximum intensity. However, in 3-6 weeks your wound should reach a stable stage. The remodeling of the scar will continue to occur until full healing. Wearing support bra with no underwire is a good way to avoid too much pressure on the incision.hope that helps!

Healing after breast augmentation reivision

Implant extrusion is very rare after breast augmentation.  Incisions are usually closed in couple layers of sutures.  Unless your skin is really thin without much breast tissue, implants should not extrude.  The incision will be "healed"  within a week; however, scar will continue to remodel and gain strength for next 6- 12 months.

Complete healing is relative

Usually the incision is healed enough to allow one to remove sutures and get the incision wet within a few days. However, the strength of the scar is a dynamic issue and changes as time passes. There is also modification of the collagen as the scar matures. Most patients should be able to resume active exercise within 3 weeks or so but you should be mindful of irritation to the scar. Your surgeon should be able to guide your specific case as he knows the anatomy of your revision and the size of your implants.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Incision heals quickly, scar matures slower

Your incision is completely heled within two weeks, but the scar can undergo changes for up to a year.  If your bra is putting pressure on the incision, consider finding one whenre the elastic is lower on the chest and you can also place a piece of guaze over the incision to relieve some of the pressure.

Initial healing on its way by 1 week, most deep healing is done within 4-6 weeks

Hi,

Every incision through the layers of skin needs some time to heal. The superficial healing is done within a week, but the deeper healing may take 4-6 weeks. During this period of time, don't worry -- your implant should not break the skin. Sometimes a very large and heavy implant can cause the incision to stretch slightly as it heals, however. Wearing a support bra is helpful. I would avoid an underwire bra as this will irritate your incision. If the band hits your incision and this is painful, you can put a small piece of gauze or cotton at that site to take some of the pressure off the incision. Within a month after surgery this should become much more comfortable. Good luck!

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Extrusion and Incision Disruption

Breast implant revision can involve incising a previous incision site. In your particular case, extrusion of the implant through the incision site can be prevented by meticulous layered closure of the underlying muscle and soft tissue. Extrusion is rare, but can occur with severely atrophied breast parenchyma.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Stability of Incision Closure

The incisions for breast augmentation are typically closed in 3 or more layers to provide good support to the closure and prevent implant exposure.
It is very unusual for an implant to poke through the skin or the incision.

Since this is an important concern for you, check in with your surgeon for his evaluation and reassurance.

I would suggest not wearing a bra that rubs on the incision. That may be worse than going without bra for support.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Incisional healing after breast implants

The incision will gain significant strength over weeks, and then remodel for over a year.  It is good that you are wearing a support bra.  If there is rubbing on the incision site, you may want to place a pad, (gauze), over that area.  Also have the staff in the plastic surgeons office take a look.  They may offer advise as to where the elastic should be, and the best places locally to get the right bra for you.  Please also communicate your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeons office...

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Time to incision healing after breast revision surgery

Your inframammary incision should be fully healed at 6 weeks postoperatively to allow for resumption of most usual activities. By 2 days postoperatively the incision is usually water tight and showering is not a problem. By 7-10 days postoperatively the incision is usually healed enough to remove stitches that remain in place. It takes 6-8 months for scars to start fading from pink to pale as scar remodelling is a continual process that lasts far beyond the initial post operative period.

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

6 Weeks

If the bra is uncomfortable, it is probably too tight.  One of the biggest problems with the crease incisions that the implant is lying directly on the wound.  You need proper nutrition, and to minimize your physical activity.  It typically takes 6 weeks before the wound has reached significant strength.