How Long Before Incision from Breast Augmentation Heals?

I recently had a revision done through crease incision for one side of my breast. Because I have very very thin skin, I am concerned about the breast implant breaking layers of skin. What suggestions / ideas do you have to keep the pressure of the implant off the incision until it heals?

I am wearing a support bra although it can be uncomfortable because the band is at where the incision is. Normally, how long will it take for the incision to completely heal and seal? Your opinion would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

Complete healing is relative

+3

Usually the incision is healed enough to allow one to remove sutures and get the incision wet within a few days. However, the strength of the scar is a dynamic issue and changes as time passes. There is also modification of the collagen as the scar matures. Most patients should be able to resume active exercise within 3 weeks or so but you should be mindful of irritation to the scar. Your surgeon should be able to guide your specific case as he knows the anatomy of your revision and the size of your implants.

Initial healing on its way by 1 week, most deep healing is done within 4-6 weeks

+3

Hi,

Every incision through the layers of skin needs some time to heal. The superficial healing is done within a week, but the deeper healing may take 4-6 weeks. During this period of time, don't worry -- your implant should not break the skin. Sometimes a very large and heavy implant can cause the incision to stretch slightly as it heals, however. Wearing a support bra is helpful. I would avoid an underwire bra as this will irritate your incision. If the band hits your incision and this is painful, you can put a small piece of gauze or cotton at that site to take some of the pressure off the incision. Within a month after surgery this should become much more comfortable. Good luck!

Few weeks to several months

+3

It could take 6 month for the wound to gain near maximum intensity. However, in 3-6 weeks your wound should reach a stable stage. The remodeling of the scar will continue to occur until full healing. Wearing support bra with no underwire is a good way to avoid too much pressure on the incision.hope that helps!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/

Breast Implant Extrusion and Incision Disruption

+3

Breast implant revision can involve incising a previous incision site. In your particular case, extrusion of the implant through the incision site can be prevented by meticulous layered closure of the underlying muscle and soft tissue. Extrusion is rare, but can occur with severely atrophied breast parenchyma.

Incision heals quickly, scar matures slower

+2

Your incision is completely heled within two weeks, but the scar can undergo changes for up to a year.  If your bra is putting pressure on the incision, consider finding one whenre the elastic is lower on the chest and you can also place a piece of guaze over the incision to relieve some of the pressure.

Healing after breast augmentation reivision

+2

Implant extrusion is very rare after breast augmentation.  Incisions are usually closed in couple layers of sutures.  Unless your skin is really thin without much breast tissue, implants should not extrude.  The incision will be "healed"  within a week; however, scar will continue to remodel and gain strength for next 6- 12 months.

Wound Healing Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Wound healing is a dynamic process that in many cases lasts for more than a year. Most wounds regain the majority of their tensile strength in about six weeks, but continue to remodel for at least a year.

Although you’re concerned about thin skin and implant extrusion, this would be an unusual complication unless you had other associated problems such as infection. Surgeons close these wounds in multiple layers and the deeper tissue is closed as well. The use of a support bra would take pressure off the closure and provide added support. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Incision Healing

+1
It takes a full year for a scar to mature.  The worst time for scars is the first 2-3 months due to the way the body heals itself.  I would recommend that you keep as little pressure as possible on your scar for the first 1.5-2 months. Carefully select a sports bra that gives you support without unnecessary pressure on the incision.  This is because during this time, your body is laying down scar tissue which is normal.  However, it is not organized at this point. Over the next 2-10 months the scar tissue will continue to organize and strengthen your incision.  If you would like to apply a topical scar modulator, there several products on the market that can help scars in their early phase of healing.  
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Incision of breast augmentation

+1

The scar matures over about a years time. Ther ereally is nothing you can do to support the breasts to prevent the incision from opening if the tissue are very thin at this point.

Extrusion of implant unlikely

+1

Extrusion of your implant is unlikely. This depends on several factors including the quality of your skin, the surgical technique used to close your incision, and how you take care of your incision afterwards. I agree with wearing a support bra. However, make sure the bra is not rubbing on your incision as this can cause breakdown of the wound or lead to a bad scar down the line.

Usually, by 4-6 weeks after your procedure, the skin and underlying tissues are quite strong. However, since your surgeon is most familiar with your procedure and tissues, it is best to ask him how long you should wear the support bra and when you can return to vigorous exercise.

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.