What is Minimum Recovery Time for Breast Lift with Augmentation?

I am planning a vacation to Aruba in June and wondering if 2 months is long enough time to recovery properly so I can enjoy myself. Also, I am working on losing my last 10 lbs before I schedule surgery. If I am 10 lbs from my goal weight will that make a huge difference?

Recovery from breast augmentation-lift

+2

It usually takes at least 6 weeks for your breasts to heal after a breast augmentation and lift, so you should be fine to go on vacation after two months.  But everybody heals differently, so it's best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. And I would advise you to stay covered and wear sunblock with a strong SPF while in Aruba ... the sun is strong and you don't want to darken your fresh scars, so be careful!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

2 months is a generous recovery time

+1
Typically 2 months would be enough time to enjoy yourself after surgery.  You might not be able to do vigorous water sports or play golf, but you should be healed well enough to enjoy the beach.  Your weight goals should not have a significant impact in this situation. 

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time Recommendation for Breast Lift with Breast Augmentation

+1
Yes 8 weeks should be sufficient time to recovery to full activities. Losing 10 pounds depends on whether your breasts will change much base on what has happened before and is variable from person to person.

Regarding Post-Operative Healing after breast lift with implants:Here are the instructions we give to my patients:

You will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
Patients can usually return to work in one week to ten days. Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days with light lifting of 20 pounds or less from 10 days to 3 wks. After 3 weeks progressive exercise with running and lifting of heavier weights after 6 weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Vacation and Augmentation

+1
Dear gb,
Thank you for your post.  Certainly 2 months is plenty of time to be fully healed from augmentation and lift.  Plus and minus 10 pounds is not going to make a huge difference in the result.  20 pounds and more I would avoid, however. 
Best Wishes, 
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Minimum Recovery time for Breast Lift with Augmentation 6 to 8 weeks

+1
Barring a significant complication, which is highly unlikely, giving yourself 2 months to recover from an augmentation mastopexy is certainly adequate prior to your vacation.

The first 2 weeks the breasts will feel tight and uncomfortable as when a nursing mother's milk comes in. It does take a month or two for the implants to completely settle and drop, particularly if they are on the larger side. The incisions should be well healed by then as well and you can take part in all activities.

Regarding whether or not the lose of an additional 10 pounds will significantly impact your result, that depends on what 10lbs is in relations to what you currently weigh now and if you easily lose weight in your breasts - but for most patients, 10 pounds shouldn't make much of a difference.

Also, be sure to protect your fresh scars with sunblock while on vacations.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Aruba after breast surgery

+1
You should be fine to go to Aruba 2 months after surgery, provided you have an uneventful healing course. It is always best to be as close to your ideal weight as possible before surgery. That said, if you do not gain and lose weight in your breasts easily, 10 pounds may not make a huge difference. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Recovery following breast augmentation and breast lift can be up to 6 weeks

+1

Recovery following any surgery is at least 6 weeks but in reality it takes 6-9 months for scars to start to mature. I ask my patients to be careful for 2 weeks after this type of surgery and allow them to resume all normal activity 6 weeks after breast sugmentation and breast lift surgery.

Laurie Casas, MD

Recovery after breast lift and augmentation

+1

Two months should be more than enough time to recover from a breast lift augmentation.  Recovery varies with a type of lift used.  If a small circumareola lift is used then the recovery will be quicker.  If a large boat anchor shaped incision is used the then recovery will be longer.  Achieving you ideal weight is not necessary and unfortunately people often gain the weight that is lost from diets.  A 10 pound weight loss will not make much difference in your final appearance.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant recovery time

+1

Everyone recovers at their own rate.  Some people experience very little discomfort following breast augmentation surgery and others experience much more discomfort.  In my career, I really haven't been able to determine a rhyme or reason to this.  When I use the Trans-umbilical breast augmentation (TUBA) procedure - a technique for inserting saline-filled breast implants  above or below the chest muscle using a small incision in the navel - my patients experience less discomfort and are able to return to full, strenuous activities two weeks after their surgery.  When I use more traditional approaches, I tell them not to do anything too strenuous for three weeks.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Recovery after Breast lift and augmentation

+1

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for about 4 weeks after surgery.   After this time period, you will be cleared to resume activity as tolerate.   Please ask your surgeon about his/her specific postoperative care protocol.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS