Is It Safe to Fly with a Ruptured Silicone Breast Implant?

I've just found out that I have ruptured silicone breast implants and have silicone outside of the implant shell. I have already scheduled surgery to get them replaced but am concerned because I have a 2 flights of about 4 hours each scheduled before my surgery. Is it safe to fly with a ruptured silicone implant or should I reschedule my flights?

Flying with ruptured implants

+1

Yes, it is indeed safe to fly with a ruptured implant.  It does not increase your risks or the difficulty with revisional surgery.  Best of luck.

Flying with Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

The altitude of flying should not affect your ruptures silicone gel implants. You should proceed when you are able to have your implants replaced. 

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

It is completely safe to fly with ruptured breast implants

+1

There is nothing toxic or dangerous with leaking or deflated breast implants (silicone or salt water filled). They pose no threat at either seepa level, high altitude or even at 37,000 feet.  You are not taking on any rss by completing your travel schedule. 

God luck with your surgery. 

Can I Fly With A Ruptured Silicone Implant?

+1

You should have no problems flying with a ruptured silicone implant. The cabins of commercial airlines are all pressurized. You will not affect the outcome of your surgery if you fly before you have them removed.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Should not be a problem

+1

I agree with having the implants removed but you should not fear flying with them in place. Good luck with your surgery. 

Eric Chang, MD

Flying and ruptured implants

+1

It shoudl be no problem to fly with a ruptured implants. The product is inert, and it should not migrate significantly.

Flying with ruptured implants

+1

I do not see any problems with you flying with a ruptured implant.  The altitude will not affect them. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Implants and Flying

+1

Questions regarding implants and flying are surprisingly common.  Your situation with an extracapsular implant leak is no different.  It seems you already have made arrangements to get it taken care of.  People think going up in an airplane will affect their implants somehow.  The pressure inside a commercial airplane at altitude is usually not more than the equivalent of being at a ski resort in the Rockies - about 8000 feet.  So, just like being at Vail, nothing is going to happen to your implants.  If they were filled with air (a gas) instead of saline or silicone, then yes, they would want to expand just like a balloon rising up in the sky.  With regard to traveling, particularly on airplanes, there are precautions in the early post-operative period...but not with regard to altitude or air pressure...I would worry more about straining while carrying your bags, catching an elbow in your chest from a fellow passenger trying to put his bag up in the bin, or getting groped by an aggressive TSA agent.  

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Fear of flying

+1
It is perfectly safe to fly with a ruptured implant. The fluid will stay within the breast capsule and there is no cause for concern.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Safe to fly with a ruptured breast implant

+1

It is safe to fly with a ruptured silicone gel breast implant. Often ruptures are silent and noticed later when tenderness or capsules develope. Your work schedule until you can have your implant exchanged will not be a problem.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com