Can a Mini Tummy Tuck Repair a Vertical C-section Scar? (Photos)

I have had two c-sections, both with vertical incisions. The scar seems to be stuck to the muscle, as it causes two bulges on either side. I know I need some liposuction. I am in relatively good shape (5'2" 107 lbs) and active. At my lowest weight (~102), I still have a lower abdominal bulge). I don't know if my muscle is separated. The area above the belly button has some sagging. Can I get by with a mini tummy tuck? Because of down-time concerns, can I get the lipo first and the tuck later?

Tummy tuck and C section vertical scar

+2
Only a full tummy tuck will remove your vertical scar. A full abdominoplasty removes all the skin from the navel to the pubic hairline.

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Not a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty

+1

NO, you would need a standard abdominoplasty to completely remove the old vertical C section scar.  

Mini-tuck after vertical C-section scar

+1

There are a lot going on here in terms of the thickness and length of the scar, abdominal bulge and excess lower abdominal skin.  A mini-tuck will not address the entire Caesarean scar.  You will need to assess what is most troubling.  If it is the scar and its adhesions, you could begin with scar revision/release plus liposuction, but to adress all of the issues, a full abdominoplasty would be the most comprehensive procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Vertical scar and mini tummy tuck

+1

A minim tummy tuck does not take out all the sk in in this region., You will need a full tummy tuck to accomplish that.

Another Option..

+1

A agree that the only way to completely remove the vertical incision is with a full tummy tuck. That will leave you with a lower abdominal incision. If your main complaint is contour, then another option is to have liposuction, revise the vertical incision, release it from the underlying wall and repair the lower abdominal muscles through that incision. The scars will be in the same place you have them now, but would presumably look better with a better contour. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would strongly suggest that you make your choices  carefully.  You will be disappointed with the results of liposuction alone or mini tummy tuck surgery. It is much better to wait  until “downtime concerns” are  eliminated  and do the procedure that is indicated ( standard tummy tuck)  than  to be disappointed. The old saying applies: “either do it right or don't do it”.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.