Compression Garment Vs. Binder

I am one week post mini-tummy tuck and very happy, but the compression garments they gave me go from my knees to my chest. They told me today I need to wear it for 2-3 more weeks. They also said they just order a standard garment that will work for different kinds of patients. So I started looking around the net for garments that are not so massive. I found many that are not so large and I also found binders. Since I have had no leg work done can I get a smaller garment? Is just a binder OK?

Binder vs. Garment - Which is Better?

+3

In general, you want compression in the ares that have been worked on.  For an abdominoplasty, that generally includes the lower pubic region as well, since there can be some swelling and edema in the mons region after surgery.  Some binders cover the entire area, while others do not.  Compression garments are nice because they are generally thinner material than a binder, but still as strong.  I would experiment and see how a binder covers everything.  If it covers the necessary areas, then it should be fine.  Of course, check with your surgeon first just to make sure it is ok with them.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

The larger garments have extra size so they can stabilize the other locations, and the garment will not migrate.  A binder will migrate.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Garments post-tummy tuck surgery

+2

I recommend following the post-op care instructions of your surgeon to ensure the best result possible. I provide my patients with abdominal binders, followed by compression garments and ask them to wear it for 1 month to aid in the healing process and minimize swelling.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Garments following surgery

+2

It is important to follow the post operative instructions of your reputable board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Garment or binder after mini tummy tuck

+2

If you did not have any liposuction, typically a binder that covers the entire area treated, including the pubic area (remember, the surgery goes well beyond where the incision is) should be satisfactory.

However, please do not make any changes without speaking with your surgeon -- only they know exactly the surgery they did, and the best way to manage it.

Give their office a call and tell them that the garment they gave you isn't working for you.  I'm sure they will be happy to find something that works better for you.

James Nachbar, MD

Compression garment vs. binder?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!. The tummy tuck procedure is an excellent method for contouring of your abdomen, often removing the excess skin as well as tightening the abdominal wall. After nearly all surgical procedures, a potential space is created from where the surgical procedure/dissection was performed. This is especially true for the tummy tuck, in where the abdominal flap is raised off of the abdominal wall and then redraped atop the area to contour the abdomen. The procedure alone promotes swelling and inflammation, which typically lasts for 6-12 weeks. This may even last longer if liposuction has been performed in addition. During this time, a few things may be done to allow adherence of the abdominal skin/soft tissue to readhere to the abdominal wall and close that space. Many surgeons use drains to evacuate the expected serous fluid from building up. Stagnant fluid as such may be a nidus for infection as well as does not allow the tissue to adhere back to its normal anatomic position. Drains usually are removed once output is <30cc/day - usually removed within 3-4 weeks on average, sometimes longer. When this occurs, a seroma may develop - which may require aspiration or surgical evacuation to rid this in order to optimize your result.

This is not an uncommon reason for persistent swelling and/or bulging in a certain area of your belly. Of course, thwarting the development of a pseudobursa, or seroma capsule, is always best, to provide the best result as well as avoid any future procedures for this. This may be a troubling consequence and often compromises your overall result. Thus avoiding this complication, in whatever manner, is the objective. "Drainless" tummy tucks are becoming more popular - basically, the overlying tissue is physically sutured to the abdominal wall to close the potential space. In addition, most surgeons typically restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise as well as lifting restrictions of usually <20#, especially the core, for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to continue. Most also often recommend an abdominal compression-type binder or garment, which will serve to provide compression as well as assist to decrease swelling and eliminate the dead-space of the area for at least 6 weeks as well. After the initial binder, many patients like the Spanx garments. Most patients are able to return to most activities within a couple of weeks, provided they adhere to the restrictions.

Overall, this is a procedure with a high satisfaction rate. Discuss the procedure and postoperative instructions/restrictions with your surgeon, as these will vary among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD