Did I Mess Up my Nose Job or Am I Just Being Paranoid?

Hi I underwent rhinoplasty last week and got the cast removed just recently and the doctor told me that the nose is extremely fragile and and that I should be very careful with the nose for about 6 weeks. No touching and absolutely no hits on the nose, because "that would traumatize the tissues more than they are and risk moving the nose out of alignment". However, ever since, I've gotten random accidental hits on the nose from friends. It didn't hurt much, but did it possibly hurt the nosejob?

You're probably paranoid.

+2

It would take a fairly significant blow to the nose to damage a rhinoplasty after a week.  Minor trauma to the nose is of no consequence and your're cognizant of it because you just had surgery.

Dr. Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

+1

Hopefully nothing is wrong with your nose.  I have had patients have their nose caught in elevator doors or being hit in the face randomly.  When in doubt go back and get a splint to wear.

Bumping Nose Repeatedly After Rhinoplasty Not Best Idea

+1

Hi Jess,

Be more careful!  Have your rhinoplasty surgeon check your nose.  Most likely all will be well.

Dr. P

Paranoid about messed-up nose!

+1

Jessica (said in a stern voice like your father)!

Did you really mean "random," "accidental," and "friends?"

If you decided to "test" your surgeon's advice and try something else, do you really want to pay for revision surgery? Maybe your "friends" will offer to take up a collection for your repeat surgery if you DID mess up your nose.

I liked Dr. Aldea's answer, but some patients really need a bit more encouragement to do what they already know is right for them. Or do you want to see just how many random accidental hits on your nose that don't hurt too bad it will take to damage your rhinoplasty?

Your surgeon obviously takes his craft and your result seriously--you would be wise to do the same! For now, only time will tell if your nose has survived its "inadvertent" trauma.

But really, stay out of the clubs and away from alcohol and those "friends!"

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/face-procedures/nose-surgery

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Trauma 1 Week after Rhinoplasty

+1

The obvious advice is to tell you to be careful - you've spent a lot of time and money to improve your appearance. You probably did no harm, but schedule an examination with your surgeon.

+1

Regarding: "Did I Mess Up my Nose Job or Am I Just Being Paranoid?
Hi I underwent rhinoplasty last week and got the cast removed just recently and the doctor told me that the nose is extremely fragile and and that I should be very careful with the nose for about 6 weeks. No touching and absolutely no hits on the nose, because "that would traumatize the tissues more than they are and risk moving the nose out of alignment". However, ever since, I've gotten random accidental hits on the nose from friends. It didn't hurt much, but did it possibly hurt the nosejob
?"

You sound like a dream patient. Operated noses are not made of Baccarat crystal and do not routinely fall apart when touched when they breath or sneeze. You surgeon must have sized up up to be a rather "active" patient and, out of abundance of caution to keep you in line, makes up a "fragile nose tale" (like the ol' playing with matches and bed wetting, eating and swimming, etc). You, by no fault of your own, turn out to have the most inquisitive collection of friends. With the exceptions of surgeons and anatomists, most ordinary people do NOT touch anything medical and are often grossed out by it and yet, your friends show their love to you by giving you multiple "accidental hits on the nose". Go figure. I always thought candy, DVD's or flowers were the way to show empathy after surgery. Things must be changing.

Did you Mess Up your Nose Job? - Maybe
Did these random accidental blows to the nose shift your operated nose? Maybe. Probably, not but time will tell.
Are you or Just Being Paranoid? - Maybe

Many years ago I had a patient who broke his nose playing a certain varsity sport requiring helmets. I reset his nose and read him the riot act about allowing things to heal. Unfortunately after taking his splint off repeatedly, he was caught playing the SAME sport a week later without a helmet and took a blow to the operated nose. What can I say? Some guys were seemingly placed on this planet to prematurely age their Plastic surgeons.

Therefore, please, repeat after me:
" My nose is is the only nose God gave me. It is very, VERY fragile and must not be touched in ANY way or it will fall off..My nose is is the only nose God gave me. It is very, VERY fragile and must not be touched in ANY way or it will fall off...My nose is is the only nose God gave me. It is very, VERY fragile and must not be touched in ANY way or it will fall off...My nose is is the only nose God gave me. It is very, VERY fragile and must not be touched in ANY way or it will fall off  "

Take it easy Dude! and stop driving your surgeon crazy. He REALLY is fragile.

Dr. Peter Aldea