How Does Menopause Affect the Outcome of Breast Implants in Women over 45?

Menopause and augmentation

+1

Menopause itself probaly has no direct impact on breast augmentation, although some patients do gain weight when going through menopause.

Menopause and breast implants

+1

I see a lot of patients in the menopausal years and it is very common for women to gain some weight with menopause and that weight often goes to the chest.  I have taken many an implant out of postmenopausal women who have gained breast size and feel too busty and think their large chest makes them look matronly.  Many of these ladies are thrilled after having their implants out and a breast lift and sometimes cannot believe how much of their own breast tissue is present. 

This does not keep me from doing augmentation in patients in this age group who are small breasted but I always discuss this weight gain issue with them.

The breast is not a static organ.  It changes a lot over a woman's life. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Menopause and Augmentation

+1

There are no specific hormonal or systemic issues related to menopause and elective surgery. Perimenopausal women will have signs and symptoms related to their hormonal levels but as long as their overall health is adequate, they would be candidates for augmentation. We have personally performed primary augmentations on women in their mid-70's.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants in post menopause

+1

many patients with existing implants are now post menopausal.  many women are having implants placed for the first time..  issues to consider are changes in weight that sometimes occur.   the consistency of the breast tissue itself as well as the skin changes with age.. none of the these are implant specific

Menopause and breast implant healing

+1
Many women undergo breast augmentation after age 45 and there is no study which, to my knowledge, demonstrates age specific issues regarding this procedure. Of course, if a patient has other sequelae related to menopause, such as hypertension, then this would have to be taken into consideration in the decision for surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Implants & Menopause

+1

In most cases, there aren't any specific issues that affect the outcome of breast augmentation after menopause. With normal aging, the breast tissue may change and the skin may be thinner. However, a Board Certified plastic surgeon will be able to examine you and offer recommendations based on your personal situation.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Menopause and Breast Augmentation?

+1

I am not aware of any specific issues related to women having breast  augmentation after menopause.  Many of my patients at this age have been ideal candidates for breast augmentation surgery.  These patients tend to be relatively emotionally mature, self-motivated, and have reached a stage in life (after pregnancies and/or weight loss)  where further significant body changes are not anticipated.  Occasionally these patients will mention that they have been busy “giving” to children/ family and now have time and resources to “do something for myself”.