Is This Muscle Flexion Disorder or Dimpling from Breast Lump? (photo)

Hi I have had my silicon implants for 5 years (below muscle) I just noticed last night when I flex my pecs there is a dimpling from outside areola and goes horizontal for a couple inches... Can muscle flexion just appear years after implant or is it likely related to a breast lump that I have ( having Mamo & sono Friday )

Muscle Flexion Breast Deformity?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. 

I agree with your way of thinking.  Given that the  “dimpling” It is a new physical finding it is in your best interest to have  the breasts fully  worked  up with mammography and ultrasound.  Hopefully, once you have ruled out any concerning lesions you may want to visit with your plastic surgeon to see if encapsulation could be the culprit.

You need further evaluation

+1

I am glad that you are getting mammogram and US soon. This can be a muscle attachment to the skin,but since it is a new finding,full evaluation is needed.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast dimple after augmentation

+1

I have to admit I don't like it. It could be related to flextion of the chest muscle but the line is more transverse than the muscle pull would reflect. The mammogram and ultrasound are the right idea.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Muscle flexion deformity after breast augmentation

+1

From your description and the picture it does look like an animation deformity, which can appear after some time. However, if you have a definite mass in the breast then that should be evaluated. It is possible that the lump you are feeling is a fold in the implant, which sometimes appears at the same time. Assuming the lump is determined to not be an issue, then consider converting to the split muscle plane to correct the deformity.

Richard Baxter, MD

Fold in breasts

+1

If you have implants and they were palced under the muscle, it is quite possiblt that the ridge you are seeing is from the muscle contraction.  But, you should still have it checked out by your doctor to make sure it is nothing else.

Breast indentations when flexing muscle

+1

Good idea to get mammogram and ultrasound.

Sounds and looks like its related to muscle adhesion to skin from submuscular breast augmentation.

Unusual to suddenly occur 5 years afetr surgery.

Can be corrected with acellular dermal matrix material placed between muscle and skin.

Xrays will eliminate any medical cause of problem.

Stephen R. Colen, DDS, MD

Dimpling after breast implants

+1

Hi

It is a bit difficult to guess what is going on from the information you have provided. Particularly some more details about the lump that you mention would have been helpful.

You are doing the right thing by getting the lump checked with mammogram and ultrasound/MRI. Dimpling can also easily be caused by scarring or capsular contracture. So, once your tests have been done, perhaps you can re-post with more details.

Good luck.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon