How Long Do Large Breast Implants Take to Drop?

Hi I had breast augmentation on nov. 4th it's been 10 days and I'm wondering how long on average do implants take to drop? I received mentor memory gel implants 800cc's submuscular, with infra-mammary incision. I was a full c cup before I don't know what info. is relevant but I hope this helps :0) Ty

Healing after breast implants

generally  two to three months is a reasonable time for healing. variables include:

1. laxity of skin
  2. pregnancies
  3. position of implant
  4. size of muscle
  5.  size of implant

3991 MacArthur Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Implants dropping

It can take several moths for implants to sit properly in the pocket especially when large implants are used and the skin is a bit tight.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

How long till implants drop?

You have provided all the pertinent information. Sub muscular implants have a phenomenon whereby the muscle contracts due to the implant position,and in my experience it will take 4 -6 weeks. You have a big implant(800cc) so the weight of this larger implant will assist in the coming down process. Other factors include how much skin laxity you had preoperatively. Be patient, do your massage exercises and good things will happen 

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

960 Caughlin Crossing North
Reno, NV 89519

Implants dropping?

A large implant of that size can take up to 6 months depending on how tight your skin it. Best of luck! Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

7700 Cat Hollow Drive
Round Rock, TX 78681

Time for implants to drop

You are very early in the healing process and still swollen, particularly given the large size of your implants. Dropping may take between 3-6 months, if not longer, so you need to give it some time and patience.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Implants Dropping after Surgery

Depending you your skin tightness, submuscular implants may take 3 months to find their final position, but in same cases, they may still settle for up to 6 months. So give it some time and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Breast Implant Dropping?

Most of the breast implant dropping or settling happens within the first 3 to 6 months after surgery. Occasionally, I have seen implants “drop” even up to one year after surgery.

I suspect every surgeon's experience will be different given that different dissection techniques may be employed.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Factors Affecting Breast Implant Drop

The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant" when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant. As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Most implants will settle by 3 months after surgery but everyones tissues are different and respond to implants in different ways, the bigger the implant the longer it will take to settle due to the large force

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

214 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10012