Switching Implant Profile? (photo)

If I choose a different implant profile will I get more upper pole fullness?. In the photo I have 460cc round saline. My Ps Recommends textured gel mentor high profile to get more upper pole. He'll also fix the symmetry and larger breast. Thoughts?

Switching Implant Profile

+1

The normal breast doesn't have the maximun upper pull. If it did it would look odd and wouldn't be an attractive breast... Upper pull is maximized with a high profile implant. Speak with your plastic surgeon and go over all of your options. In my opinion switching to a high profile implant will yeild the results your desire .

Switching Implant Profile?

+1

There are many factors that go into choosing a breast implant and among the specifics of the implant itself are the size and the profile.  You should meet with your surgeon so that you can understand how this works.  In general, for a given size (volume) implant, a high profile implant will have a relatively narrower base and more projection than a low profile implant.  If upper pole fullness is your only concern then you might want a lower profile implant, which has a greater diameter or a larger implant. 

But it may be difficult to achieve what you want without a lift of some kind - though that may result in more scarring than you want.  Bottom line - meet with your surgeon and tell him/her what you'd like to accomplish.  Then you (together) will have to figure out a plan that makes sense and that you're willing to follow.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Revisional Breast Surgery

+1

When doing a revision you need to address the things you don't like or that you do like. If you like your width you need to stick with an implant of similar width but a higher profile.  If you use the same profile but larger  cc's you will not be any rounder on top.  You have marked asymmetry which will probably be best corrected by changing both breasts a little.  You should discuss with your PS which breast you like better and try to match that one.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Switching Implant Profiles

+1

Definitely high profile implants will change your profile. However, you will need to go up in size though to really see a difference.  Another option, is to add fat to the upper pole. A small amount of fat can be donated from any area you would like and reinjected into the upper pole. The beauty of fat is that is can be placed exactly where you want it. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Profiles and Upper Pole Fullness

+1

Upper pole fullness is enhanced by submuscular placement. larger volumes and fullness higher on the chest. You have not mentioned a change in volume. For the same volume, high profile implants stick out more; however, they also have a narrower diameter and do not reach as high. The limit for increasing diameter is more the width of the breast than the height.

Your breasts sit lower on your chest, so the simplest fix is to wear a bra. Surgically moving the implants up will leave the nipples low, so a lift would be needed to raise the implants and keep the nipples on the front of the breast. This will also allow for more complete correction of your asymmetry. A lift means more scar on the breast, so there is definitely a trade-off.

You should consider getting another in person consultation, as it is not a good idea to make surgical plans based only on pictures. A full history and physical exam are needed. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision

+1

I agree you need revision of your breasts to achieve symmetry.  Switching to high profile implants will probably only make a slight difference in upper pole fullness and might not be worth the cost of new implants if your surgeon feels your implants can be reused.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implants to increase upper pole fullness.

+1

Thank you for the question and photos!  I hope that these answers help you!  I do agree that you have some asymmetry between your two breasts along with a difference in size.  I do not totally agree that changing the profile of your implants will completely meet your desires.  Changing implant profile will serve to increase the projection of your breasts and have minimal, if any, change in upper pole fullness.

The most important determinant for breast implants is the breast width.  Matching an implant to fit correctly for you breast will give you the best aesthetic results.  Since you do appear to have a very long torso, it may be difficult to get an implant to accomplish this for you, unless you used very large implants.  Other options may including raising your fold during your revisionary procedure, or performing a small lift or some fat grafting to the upper pole to ameliorate this issue.   Evaluation and examination by a plastic surgeon will help to assist you in determining which procedure(s) may be the right one(s) for you.  Best of luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Switching Implant Profile? (photo)

+1

Your right implant is at a lower level than the left

I believe that elevation of the right implant will correct the problem

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Getting more upper pole fullness

+1

Changing the profile is not going to make much difference in the upper pole. You will need a larger size for that. This will increase the size of the breast in all dimensions which may or may not be something you want. You may need a lift on the right size to increase the upper pole fullness on that side and give you better symmetry overall.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Switching implants and profile

+1

The simple answer to your question is that "profile" is the term for forward volume of an implant and adds nothing to the height of the upper pole fill (assuming the implant is not compressed or pushed out of position). What adds to the height of the upper pole fill is the diameter of the implant (in a round implant). 

Changing to textured surface implants would do nothing to the problems nor would a change to gels in terms of looks. 

The left breast looks very natural and has quite adequate upper pole fullness. 

The right is bigger, more ptotic, and the nipple position is off-axis. The inadequate upper pole fullness on the right is because the implant has to be lower to sit properly behind the nipple-areola. I would recommend a properly done lift for the right breast that includes the capsule adjustment for the implant and correct as much of the problem and asymmetry as possible without altering the left side. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon