Breast augmentation advice feel sagging and heavy after 7 weeks

Hi I had breast augmentation done. I had teardrop shaped implants removed which were 280g right breast and 335g left breast.  I had them removed because they had turned and had capsulated. I ask the consultant at the time could I just have them removed but she said I would look empty as before the first operation I was noticeable difference in size and shape. The consultant put in round implants right 275gm and left 330gm. The day after the surgery I did not feel right but put it down to the operation and things needed to settle but a few days later the right side was not healing and both breasts feel painful and really heavy at the bottom of the breast almost like they are going to fall out and I feel movement on the right side. I can feel empty gaps in the top part of the breasts not sure if that's to do with the capsulation removal. 

I told the consultant of my problems and she said that was the best result as I am maturing lady (I'm 36 ) had 1 child and I have very thin skin and to do an uplift would just drop after 2 months. I After 4 weeks of being told it was fine I got a second opionion who said I had a small hole on the right breast and he took the implant out and put it back in doing a revision on the cut. I would really appreciate some advice can anything else be done to help  

Revision in Time

+2

I'm sorry you've had a rough time after this surgery. Thinning and stretching of tissues after pregnancy as well as removal of scar tissue has left you with thin coverage over your implant, and you also have ptosis (sag) of the breast. I'm not sure how long ago your revision was, but after any exposure of an implant, infection is possible, so you should watch for signs of infection like redness, drainage, swelling, increased pain.

As far as improving the look and feel of the implants, occasionally time will help as you get used to the weight of the implant and as your body reforms the capsule of scar tissue. It is likely though at some point that you would benefit from a breast lift with transition of the implant from a position above the muscle to below. If the implant is already below the muscle, grafts called Allografts (tissue that is derived from skin but with all the living cells removed) can help thicken tissue and add support. I recommend waiting as long as you can to perform a revision (at least 6 months).

Best of Luck, Dr. Dana Goldberg

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Concerns Early Following after Implant Revisions

+2

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your problem.
A general guideline before performing any additional surgeries, would be to give your breasts time to heal. Three to six months would be appropriate, but longer would be fine. Then you should get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with breast augmentations and revisions. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture. I wonder if your breast implants are placed in the sub muscular or sub glandular position. Based on the photograph, I am concerned that you may end up having significant problems with breast implant rippling/palpability  even along the upper parts of the breasts.

If your implants have been placed above the muscle, conversion to a sub muscular position along with the use of internal suture repair of breast implant pockets may help your situation significantly.  Capsulorraphy ( internal suture repair) and/or  the use of our allograft  along the lower poles of the breasts may help provide additional support to the breasts  and improve the sensation of sagging and heaviness…

Given that you are only 7 weeks out of surgery, it would be too early to proceed with any type of revisionary surgery.  However,  it may be helpful to you to resubmit photographs and additional information 3 to 6 months from now.

+1

Too late now but in retrospect, maybe a second opinion would have been worthwhile before the surgery.

Two problems I see at this stage. First is the fact that the right implant was exposed and is still at risk for becoming infected. Once it is clear that that is no longer an issue, you can think longer term what to do. 

From just photos alone, and without reading the questions it looks like you would benefit from a lift. Now adding the issues of heaviness, maybe it is time to reconsider removing the implants and proceeding with a lift. If those implants are about 300 cc, it looks from the photos that you have enough of your own breast tissue to get a nice result from a lift. Ask your second surgeon about the options, and think about additional opinions.

Thanks for sharing your history and photo. All the best. 

Implant issues

+1

Sorry to hear about your problems. It looks like from the photos that perhaps you could have benefited from a lift.  An in person exam would be essential.

Concerns after breast augmentation revision

+1

Hello June1.  Thanks for your question and photo.  It sounds like you unfortunately suffered a couple complications that required revision.  Complications can happen to anyone, but hopefully you went to a board-certified plastic surgeon to have your plastic surgery performed.  Although I am missing some key information, such as your height/weight, comorbidities such as diabetes/smoking, and some additional photos from different angles, your photo looks like you have symmetric breasts with a bit of ptosis (sagging) and possibly some mild rippling of the upper poles.  The anatomic 'teardrop' shaped implants, although popular in Europe, are still relatively new here in the US.  One risk of these that is described is rotation and malposition, which you observed.  Replacing these with round implants, as well as doing a capsular contracture removal, can lead to deflation of the upper pole and rippling.  Many times, especially for younger patients, the breast tissue can remodel and contour back to accommodate the new implants, for which I do not recommend any revision for at least 6 months to let things 'settle'.  Thus, I would recommend time and observation for now.  However, if you still have issues with deflation or sagging at that time, you may need a mastopexy (breast lift) to help tighten the soft tissue envelope around your implants to give you a nice aesthetic look.  I am not sure what you meant about the 'small hole' in your right breast, but if you had implant exposure that required another revision and implant switch-out, then all the more reason to give it time to settle to minimize risk of infection.  Hope that helps! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Before performing any additional surgeries, give your breasts time to heal.  3 to 6 months would be appropriate.   Then seek out a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and revisions each year.