Am I mature enough for Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'm a 14 year old girl. I got my first period when I was 11, I'm 5'5 and my feet are size 8 1/2 and haven't grown in a while. I have a bump on my nose that hurts to touch and it feels sore like I just hit it on something. My nose also sticks out far and it's bulbous. I left my school recently because everyone called me ugly duck (nose). I know my face is mature cause everyone says I look 15-23. I asked a question before but this one is more detailed!

Emotional maturity for rhinoplasty

+1
In most cases, rhinoplasty should be delayed until the facial skeleton has matured. This is typically in the mid to late teens. For girls, cosmetic rhinoplasty should be delayed until at least 14-16 years old. When rhinoplasty is performed after this stage, it is unlikely that the changes from surgery will detrimentally effect facial skeleton development.

What is of equal importance to the physical maturity of the face is the emotional maturity of the patient. When considering cosmetic surgery, it is important to do it for the right motivations-doing it for yourself to look good and feel more confident about your appearance. Additionally, it is important to have realistic expectations about the type of result that can be achieved following rhinoplasty surgery; an improvement in the appearance of the nose, improved balance and harmony between the nose and your facial features, and a timeless result-a result that will look good both right now and in the future.

It appears that there are some things with your nose that could be improved and you would benefit from seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to see what options there are for you.

It is quite unfortunate that you left your school because people were teasing you. I hope you have found a better school where you can attend and enjoy yourself - don't allow anyone to deprive you of your opportunity to learn and get an education. I hope you have someone around you that you can talk to if this continues to happen.

Based on your description, you're likely physiologically old enough to undergo rhinoplasty surgery at age 14..

+1
In our practice, rhinoplasty may be considered in some 14 year old, young women. With the blessings and consent of your parents, you may wish to consider consulting several rhinoplasty specialists with them to see if this would be appropriate for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I Mature Enough for Rhinoplasty?

+1
Many 14 year old ladies are old enough for a rhinooplasty but I don't know if you're mature enough. A rhinoplasty would improve the appearance of your nose but you will need parental or guardian permission.

Age for rhinoplasty

+1
If you are physically and mentally mature you may have a rhinoplasty.  Your parents will have to be on board for any surgical treatment and sign your consents.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Am I mature enough for Rhinoplasty?

+1
If skeletal growth is complete, rhinoplasty can be considered with parental consent.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Rhinoplasty at age 14

+1
I think that you are probably ready to have your rhinoplasty. However, it is best to wait to you are 15 to make sure your nose has fully developed.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teenage rhinoplasty

+1
I agree you would benefit significantly from a more elegant nose. If you can get clearance from your family doctor or pediatrician -that you have stopped growing then you would be a candidate for rhinoplasty at this age. Pus, parental consent is required. Otherwise, waiting until you are 16 y.o. would be advised.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Be Patient!

+1
I understand your concern about being teased secondary to some physical issue.  It is more difficult for me to assess your particular issue because of the single photo that you attached.  In general, 14 is young to undergo rhinoplasty.  Not just because the body may still be growing, but it can be an emotional experience that requires a bit more maturity than most 14 year olds have.  It is not to young to go for a consult and to see what aesthetically will be possible given your situation.

Nathan E. Nachlas, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I mature enough for Rhinoplasty?

+1
You will need your parents consent for surgery.  Discuss your feelings with them prior to consulting with a Plastic Surgeon.  If they are on board, consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD