What's a better method for a very long, hooked, bulbous, Italian nose; closed or open Rhinoplasty?

I'm just wondering which method would be more effective in my case?

+1
I usually perform the closed rhinoplasty approach so that there is not a visible scar.  Either approach can be used.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Open or closed rhinoplasty?

+1
First and most important is what needs to be done to make your nose more balanced and more to your liking.  At a consultation you can discuss what the problems are and listen to options or recommendations for improvement.  Part of the discussion will be open or closed.  The key is to get a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has an expertise in noses.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Open versus closed rhinoplasty

+1
 The debate about open rhinoplasty versus closed rhinoplasty is only  about the approach to the surgery, not the surgery itself. Addressing the bulbous tip, large hump, hooked and long nose can all be addressed through either closed or open rhinoplasty. We perform closed rhinoplasty. For many examples, please see our closed rhinoplasty photo gallery.

What's a better method for a very long, hooked, bulbous, Italian nose - closed or open Rhinoplasty?

+1
This absolutely depends on your chosen surgeon as opposed to your nose. If you seek a handful of consultation you will likely receive differing advice about the approach from different surgeons. The bottom line is that different rhinoplasty surgeons will use different approaches for the same nose and that is OK. If you trust your chosen surgeon and like their before and afters for noses similar to yours the approach that they use should be less important than their skill, experience and results. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed or open Rhinoplasty?

+1
Excellent cosmetic results can be achieved with both techniques. There is not a best way to perform the procedure. Individual surgeons have their own preferences of how to produce the best results in their hands. What is more important than whether a closed or open approach is utilized is the experience and artistry of the plastic surgeon and your comfort level and confidence in that individual.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do  without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon