Had Face-lift - when Can I Use Retin A?

I've been using retin A for quite a bit. Had facial surgery last week that involved an incision under the chin, two near the ears and one at the hairline. How long should I wait before using retin A all over my face? Because some Retin A will definitely be applied on the places where incisions were made, so, is there any risk that Retin A will impair healing or make the scars worse? Thanks a lot

When can I start using my Retin-A again?

+1

I would make sure that you ask you surgeon this question as he has more detailed knowledge of your skin, and healing progress. I typically advise waiting 2-3 weeks before starting Retin-A after a facelift.

Retin A and Facelift

+1

I start my patients back on Retin A two weeks post op.    Consult with your Plastic Surgeon regarding this at one of your post operative visits.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Retin A after face lift

+1
  • You should wait at least 2 weeks to use Retin A after a face lift.
  • Ask your surgeon if you need to wait longer.
  • Your skin will be more sensitive. Stop using it if it hurts when you put it on.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

When to resume Retin-A after a face lift?

+1

It is always best to follow the advice of your surgeon in this regard, since he or she has the best knowledge of exactly what was done.  Most of my patients can resume their skin care 2 to 3 weeks after surgery assuming all is going well with the healing process.

John Q. Cook, MD

Ask your surgeon about resuming retin-A after facelift

+1

In general, you should be able to resume using tretinoin within a few wekks after surgery, but you will need to get your surgeon's specific advice about applying it over the scars. Same for any other skin care products you are using.

Richard Baxter, MD

Retin-A after a facelift

+1

Hi Faustiniana,

Your surgeon is best qualified to answer this question, but for my patients I recommend waiting at least 6 week after a facelift before resuming Retin-A. Good luck.

Dr. Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon