Has Anyone Ever Reported Adhesions from a Facelift?

I am almost three years post-op from a mid-face lift, chin implant, and an endotine device. I have terrible (painful) tightness underneath it all from around each ear, underneath the jaw line ear-to-ear, and each cheek. Can anyone recommend a particular massage therapy that will alleviate this scar tissue? It all looks okay. Thank God! but I am at wit's end... It feels so awful...

Facelift Pain and Tightness after 3 Years

+1

Pain and tightness three years after facelift is unusual.  However, if a permanent suture was placed near one ear under the jawline to the other ear, this may need to be removed. 

Tightness after facelift

+1

For persistent tightness I usually recommend ultrasound therapy in conjunction with deep massage.  The good news is that you look good, so the tightness will probably keep you looking good for a long time. Tightness ALWAYS resolves over time, so be patient.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tightness after facelift

+1

It is common to have tightness after a facelift for the first 6 months to 1 year.  This usually improves as the swelling resolves and tissues relax.  Its important to discuss these symptoms with your surgeon, as it is uncommon to have this discomfort persist this long.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after facelift surgery

+1

Three years from your surgery, all scar tissue should have healed by now, and the endotine device should be completely resorbed. You should certainly see a qualified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon to discuss options.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tight scar three after facelift

+1

The normal maturation cycle for scar is a year and it might not be scar that is causing you to continue to feel tight. Three years is a very long time for tightness to persist. It sounds like a personal exam with your surgeon is best to sort things out.

Adhesions following a facelift

+1

Although all patients will have some scarring or adhesions following a facelift, in the majority of patients the scars will soften and fade within the first 6 to 12 months following the surgery.  If you are still having problems with pain or tightness three years after your procedure, you should be evaluated by your surgeon.  If the problem is a scar that is tight or hypertrophic your doctor may want to treat you with a series of hydrocortizone injections or he/she may suggest an scar revision.  If some type of surgical sling was placed during your facelift, your surgeon may want to release or loosen the sling.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue is natural

+1

Scar tissue after surgery is what holds everything together and it does mature and soften over time.  However, three years is a long time and i wonder it the endotine is causeing the abnormal thightening. However it should have absorbed bt now.Go back to your doc and review the op note, this may be helpful.  Try a small ultrasound device, Vit E and nech exercises.  good luck

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD