Can I Be Helped with Revision Surgery or Some Other Procedure? (photo)

Rhytidectomy (face lift) (June 2011) After 3 corrective procedures (Sept. 2011, January 2012, April 2012) my face looks awful. My neck sags on the left side, very uneven irregularities under my chin. The skin on my lower face is pulled tight so my mouth looks some what distorted. I also now have "PIXIE EARS" The scars behind my left ear are thick and very conspicuos. Also, large lump on left cheek. Surgeon had done lipo on cheek..it did nothing to improve the lump.

Facelift Complications

+2

Having three surgeries in a one year period reeks of despiration by the operating surgeon. Some of the small things like your "pixie" ears are easy to address and could have been repaired while putting off the bigger problems which uniformly take time to resolve. A world famous Plastic Surgeon in Great Britain once said "never do today what can honorably be put off until tomorrow". I think Sir Harold Gillies was talking about patients and problems just like yours. You should do several things; get a second opinion from an experienced Plastic Surgeon and expect that you will be given psychological support with a realistic time frame for recovery.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Problems after 4 Facelift Procedures

+2

I'm sorry that you've had these problems after your facelift and several revisions. Ultimately you can improve your results but you must be patient and allow healing to progress so the face does relax before attempting another revision. If the same surgeon has done all the work, I suggest you get a second opinion.

Revision surgery sometimes necessary after a facelift

+1

Revision surgery after a facelift is common, but 4 surgeries in one year is too much. You need to wait at least 6 months for the tissue to settle before considering any other surgery. I would also get a second and even a third opinion!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Allow for complete healing before another revision

+1

At this point I would wait at least 6 if not 12 months.  Let everything settle to its permanent condition before going back to try to revise things.  Inflammation lasts a long time at the tissue level, and further manipulation of the tissues too soon can cause some unintended distortions.  All of your issues can be addressed but make sure the tissue is stable before having further surgery.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

4 Facelift Procedures in Less than a Year

+1

I would definitely recommend waiting a full year before contemplating anything else.  The pixie ears can be improved.  The other things need to be examined in one year to determine what will be needed for improvement or if improvement is likely after undergoing another procedure.

Face lift revision

+1

Thank you for your question and for the photos. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have had following your face lift. While not everyone heals perfectly, there arre usually things that can be done to improve the issues that are bothering you. Being that you have had 3 attempts to correct this, I would suggest a different approach. I think that getting a few second opinions from board certified plastic surgeons in your area that have extensive experience with face lifts may be helpful. While not everything can be completely corrected, the areas that bother you can certainly be improved.

I do suggest waiting as long as possible. Your face has now been operated on 4 times in the last 11 months, which can create a significant amount of scar tissue. Waiting for this to soften will allow for more improvement in the future.

Best of luck with your face and hang in there.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

You will have to determine what issues are most important

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  I believe one of the more important things that you will have to do is decide for yourself which of the issues that need correction are most important.  Once you do so I would advise you to seek several consultations preferably with board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in face lift revision surgery.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Revision facelift surgery

+1

Dear GayleTroyer,

• I think it is time for you to get a second opinion because it sounds like your limit has been reached
  • Thankfully, you still have healing to go with room for improvement
  • Seek out a few experience surgeons and pick one that you get along with and whose results you like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Face Lift Revision Surgery

+1

I am sorry you have had this experience.  Most of the issues that you mention can be addressed, but it will be important to allow for significant time to pass in order to allow for relaxation of the tissues.  Consult with a highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a fresh view on the subject.  The one area that might be addressed in the nearer term is the area of fullness in the left cheek.  An exam by a highly experienced plastic surgeon will help determine its nature.

John Q. Cook, MD

Unfavorable Facelift Results

+1

I am sorry that your outcome has been less than desirable.   I am not sure what the lump represents.  Exam in  warranted for that.  The Pixie ear can be improved with surgery.  The scars may be able to be improved (Steroid injections,surgery).  Consult with a board certified PS for second, third opinions.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS