Is Lumigan or Latisse Mixed with Mascara Effective?

My doctor (an ophthalmological surgeon) mixed Lumigan with my mascara because he said side effects were less likely as I was concerned about my light eyes darkening.

I have been using the Lumigan-mixed mascara for 6 weeks and hardly seen any difference. I have naturally rather long lashes to begin with. I'm wondering if Latisse still works when mixed in with mascara?

Should be applied on lash line, not lashes

+1
This has probably diluted the product so much that it is not effective. Latisse must be applied along the lash line, not the lashes themselves, to be effective.

Latisse mixed with mascara

+1

Latisse must be applied to the roots of the lashes to see the growing effect.  Using it on the eyelashes will not work unless you apply the mascara right onto the roots.  This would be very messy and you would only be getting diluted Lumigan.  Use the real medication and apply nightly to the base of your lashes.  In 6 to 10 weeks, you will see results.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Creative but not necessarily effective to mix Latisse with eyeliner

+1

The Latisse must be in contact with the skin at the lash follicle and be able to influence the lash follicle to grow. Mixed with mascara you may not be delivering the Latisse where it was designed to go and thus may not be getting the effect you desire.

I would recommend that you strictly follow the prescibed application method of application to the base of the lashes, thus having the best chance for success.

The clinical study did not have any cases of darkening of the iris in cases where Latisse was applied as prescribed.

Jon Dishler, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist

Latisse mixture

+1

Dear LW

I would not recommend this as it would definitely be considered an off label use. I recommend strictly following the instructions on the package for use of Latisse to achieve the best results. Is this a formulation your doctor has made or is it something you have mixed yourself? Either way I would be wary and try to use Latisse the way it is described.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon