Latisse for White Eyebrows and Eyelashes?

What makes your eyelashes grow white? Is that natural for a 49 yr old?

Can Latisse/Lumigan/Bimatoprost/Travaprost do anything for white lashes and eyebrows?

Latisse for White Eyelashes

+2

There are many reasons for hair to turn white but the aging process is certainly the most common. The application of Latisse has been scientifically proven to increase the the darkness of each eyelash hair as well as the length and thickness of each hair. This is most likely due to an increased production of pigment within each hair follicle. If there are still some pigment producing cells remaining in your hair follicles, Latisse will have a chance to work. Typically, within 4 months of application, Latisse can increase the length, thickness, and darkness of eyelashes. Many of my patients have successfully used Latisse to enhance the growth of their eyebrows as well. As any side effects are quite rare, it's certainly worth giving it a try.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelashes' color changes with age and stress

+2

Naedean, there are many reasons why our hair can turn white. The color of hair depends on the amount and type of pigment created by specialized cells at the root of the hair called melanocytes. As we get older, these specialized cells can stop functioning as effectively as they did when we were younger. Stress can also make these cells become less effective. If your lashes are turning white because of stress, they can return to their normal color when the stress resolves.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy Swartz, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Reversing white hair back to color

+1

The clinical studies show that Latisse does enhance darkness of pigment in the eyelashes in addition to length and thickness, but whether it can repigment follicles with white hairs remains to be shown.  I am familiar with a process where a kelp (seaweed) extract has partially reversed the follicular depigmentation in patients' scalp conditions, and this effect lasts as long as the patient is diligent with ongoing treatment.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon