Lost 101 Lbs. Have Loose Skin. Also Developed B.D.D. Afraid to Consult with a Surgeon.

Hello.I'm kevin.I lost 101 lbs.Would surgey help me? I didit by adopting ahealthy lifestyle and eating correctly, and lifting weights 5 days a week. I've maintained weight loss for 1 year. Took 2 years to lose the weight. . Loose skin on chest abdomen, buttocks,arms,thighs. Bodyfat through underwater weighing (hydrostatic test) is 11%.It is severely effecting self-esteem.Afraid to get help; because I fear the loose skin, esp. on the chest, is fat.I still feel fat.I have nightmares.. Thanks

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

+2

You have achieved a lot, and you look very good. You mentioned you developed Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). You need to see a psychiatrist before considering any surgery. That probably will be helpful for you in your situation.

Weight Loss Plastic Surgery

+1

Hello Kevin,

Absolutely amazing transformation you have done to yourself!

I have seen so many people who have lost more than 100 pounds, and I can tell you that those who did it on their own without bariatric surgery (gastric bypass or lap bands) are far more concerned about every ounce of fat, every inch of skin, and are much more fearful of becoming heavy again.  I would refrain from labels such as BDD. You do not need to see a psychiatrist/psychologist.

I know the photos you took don't tell the whole story of what's bothering you, but let me tell you that you have performed a greater transformation in your appearance than any plastic surgical procedure can for you now. 

Please visit a few surgeons that specialize in post bariatric plastic surgery and have them evaluate you.  Tell them everything and be honest.  The more detail you can give them, the more certain they will be about being able to help you.

Bodylift after extreme weight loss

+1

Dear Kevin,

I congratulate you on your life style change and weight loss!  It is very common and normal to feel fat even when you have lost all the excess body weight.   Obviously your in excellent condition.  The excess skin can be removed in one 3.5-4.5 hr surgery. This surgery would include a total body lift, brachialplasty if needed and chest reduction w/wo pec implants This would not include a thigh lift.  Which would be done a month or so later if needed.  This is an outpatient procedure.  I wish you well in your quest for a new body.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS