Body Lift then Exercise?

Is it safe to lift weights right after a body lift? I'm undertaking a fairly heavy program of resistance training, and am worried lifting weights will pull my stitches. How long should I wait before lifting weights again? What kind of exercise will I be able to resume right after surgery?

Exercise after Body Lift

+1

I generally clear my tummy tuck or body lift patients to resume activity as tolerated at 6 weeks postop *gradually*.  The key word is gradually resume your exercise routines.   You may experience some swelling after work-outs.  This is normal.  Just put on your compressive garments after your workouts.  You'll notice this post exercise swelling less and less as the weeks/months progress.   
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Body Lift then Exercise?

+1

You should plan to refrain from heavy exercise for six weeks after the surgery and then when you start back doing exercise you should start slowly and build your strength and endurance back up.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Activities following bodylift surgery

+1

Ask your Plastic Surgeon how to resume your weight traing following body lift surgery. I typically ask the patients to start walking the first day after surgery and then to not stress the suture line by bending forward or twisting for 6 weeks after body lift surgery.

Laurie Casas, MD

Body Lift then Exercise?

+1

Clearly follow the advice of your Plastic Surgeon. In my practice I dont have patients return to rigorous exercise for 6 weeks after a body lift.   After 6 weeks a patient can usually return to  full weights and cardio routine.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After A Body Lift

+1
For athletic people it is very difficult to restrain exercise after a major procedure such as a body lift. If you do not follow recomendations for return to exercise you may invite unnecessary complications. If all goes well and you experience no delays in healing, i recommend light exercise at one to two weeks. That means low impact and pulse less than 120. VERY light weigts for arms and legs could be used for some range of motion exercises. A wound healing complcation is not worth premature return to activity. The stronger you are, the more important it is for you to limit vigorous activity.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Is it safe to lift weights right after a body lift?

+1

Every Plastic surgeon will have a different opinion on WHEN it would be safe to resume excercises after a lower body lift. The reluctance is based on the fear of creating bleeding or fluid collections (seroma), wroud splitting open or sutures breaking leading to widening scars.

I prefer that my patients not raise their blood pressure for at least 4 weeks. When they rturn to exercising I ask that they do treadmill / stairmaster type cardio and no kicking or spinning for at least another 1-2 months to allow the body to scar better which will spread the pulling forces on more than just the stitches.

Ask your surgeon.

Weight Lifting Should Be Delayed 6-8 Weeks After Body Lift

+1

A body lift is a big and expensive operation following which you must wait a reasonable period of time to resume heavy lifting or weight training.  I would recommend that you wait 6-8 weeks, assuming that you have an otherwise uneventful recovery.  If there is delayed wound healing which sometimes occurs, you should wait even longer.

John Whitt, MD

Body Lift and Exercise?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery and plan to maintain a healthy lifestyle afterwards.

Your surgeon will provide you with his/her recommendations regarding exercise after surgery. Much of this advice will depend on exactly what procedure is done.

In general, most surgeons will advise light exercise (walking, stationary bike etc.)  for the first month after major surgery.  A “fairly heavy program of resistance training” will probably not be advised for at least 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.

Again please communicate with your plastic surgeon regarding specific  recommendations and good luck with your upcoming surgery!