What is the Best Preparation for a Successful Body Lift?

What preparatory measures like weight loss, exercise or adjusting medication dosage will maximize the probability of a successful body lift? What medications can slow down the process of healing? Are their things that can be done before and after a body lift for the most effective healing?

Successful Lower Body Lift?

+2

The lower body lift is a major operation best  done  when you are close to a long-term stable weight and when you are in the best physical and emotional state you can be in. Most of the involved issues are common sensical  and include good nutrition, weight control, avoidance of nicotine products  etc. you will find that specific "dos  and don'ts" will  be reviewed with you during your preoperative visit with your plastic surgeon.

Some further words of advice may be helpful…

A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Preparation Advice

+1

There are many different steps in preparing for a body lift procedure. First is consult a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in body contouring procedures. Second is to make sure you understand your surgeon’s procedural plan. Third would be to understand all the risks and complications of your procedure. Fourth would be to have a history and physical and labs drawn by your primary care physician in order to ensure your body can endure your planned procedure(s). Next is to get on a nutritional supplement plan provided by your surgeon. Last but not least would be to make sure you have proper caretaking prepared for when you get out of surgery. There are so many other suggestions I could make for you, but it all depends on what procedures will be a part of your body lift.

I have included a link that may be helpful to you.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

The best outcomes with Body Lift Surgery

+1

Hi there-

I love doing body lift surgery because the transformations can be so spectacular and my patients' lives are so positively affected... I'm sure that you will be just as happy when you are ready.

There is no question in my mind that the very best outcomes and experiences result from proceeding in a very deliberate fashion- stability is critical.

What I mean by this is that it is very important that you have reached your weight loss plateau and been stable there for a minimum of 3-6 months, your diet and exercise regimen are also comfortable and stable, any medications and supplements necessary have also been stabilized with regard to dosing, and your emotional and personal life are as stress-free and stable as possible.

When the time is right, you'll be ready for your Chrysalis change!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

For great results from a body lift...

+1

For great results from a bodylift, there are several keys points to be addressed.  The first is the nutritional side.  You need to increase your protein stores prior to the surgery.  You should also try to reverse as much as the common iron defiency anemia as possible. Eating a well balance diet prior to surgery to make sure your micronutrients are adequate The second is you need to increase your exercise tolerance.  You should walk 30 minute or more twice a day or 45 min at least once a day.  This is the minimum exercise tolarance I permit prior to surgery. The third issue is that you can not have smokers in your presence or house(it goes without saying that you can't even think about a smoke).  The fourth is your doctors and you must minimize any medical problems.  The last and probably the most important is that you need to pick a surgeon who is well versed and an expert in this area.  Good luck with your surgery.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS