Coolsculpting Costs...Who Sets the Price?

Had Coolsculpting done and blown away by the price my Dr was charging! If this is being touted as an alternative to lipo then why is the cost almost the same? Two large areas @ $1500 and four @ $750 = $6000 is insane. If I understand correctly this machine only freezes the fat so I cannot understand the justification in the costs. The nurse came in the room, attached the suction and walked out the door for an hour, what am I paying $6000 for? At least with lipo the Dr is actually doing work!

Costs in Coolsculpting?

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.

The costs of coolsculpt vary from location to location and are based on

1. Cost of the machine.

2. Cost of the disposables (which is a fee that goes back to the coolsculpt company, not the physician's office)

3. Cost of employee or surgeon applying the machine.

4. Cost of rent and general overhead, etc.

I understand your frustration with costs.  Know that most surgeon offer package deals, i.e. if one area = 750, there is a decreased price for each additional area, depending on how many areas are treated.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting reduces fat but the technology costs

+1

Zeltiq designed an effective technology to safely reduce fat without surgery. This has a significant dollar value to our patients. The equipment is expensive for the practice to purchase, there is a computer chip that allows the physician to treat each cycle, but that chip is expensive and is disposable so the physician has to purchase multiple chips to allow for treatment. Furthermore, there is a costly expensive for the physician to purchase each of the new applicators as they are manufactured. There are now five applicators that physicians can choose to purchase to allow for the best fit and to allow more patients to be candidates for the treatment. Lastly, there is an expensive service contract that most practices purchase each year to maintain the equipment in good condition and for repairs should they be necessary. All these factors illustrate why physicians can't discount the fee for CoolSculpting to any significant extent. 

In our NYC practice, we don't charge more for the larger applicator even though it costs more for us to use it. We offer discounts for multiple applicators, as many of our patients are candidates to have several applicators per zone to truly sculpt their physique and we wanted to make it as affordable as possible. We also discount for second treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cost of CoolSculpting

+1

Often offices using multiple systems, occasionally referred to as dual coolsculpting, may ofer a reduced rate for the second area.  This allows the patient to receive treatment of two areas at once, and only takes one hour of office space rather than two. In my Raleigh, NC Coolsculpting practice, we do offer reduced rates for a second area. We also, as many offices do, offer a reduced rate for multiple treatments. We do not sell packages, or take money in advance because it is not possible to predict exact outcomes. Therefore, we would not someone to pay in advance for a second treatment if they are pleased with the results of the first treatment.

Just like any other procedure, don't select where you receive a treatment exclusively based on the lowest price. We know CoolSculting works, but patient selection is important (not everyone is an ideal candidate) and the manner in which the applicator is applied is critical.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cost of CoolSculpting

+1

Hello and thank you for bringing your concerns to all of us regarding CoolSculpting treatment. In reviewing all of your noted concerns and questions, I found the comparison of your experience with CoolSculpting and value placed on the surgeon work (performance), a good reminder and message about the invaluable element of customer service and care. It is certainly true that the cost of a surgical procedure can be comparable to the non-invasive CoolSculpting option.  While we carefully consider the expenses of business (all the costs to provide any service), we do our best in our practice to create pricing structures that will be fair and realistic to our patients.

As answered previously, all practices have expenses, maybe some higher than others, but we look for common ground on pricing these effective non-surgical treatments such as CoolSculpting. In any market, you may find variable costs, but should be close in proximity. 

All of the treatments today are expensive, surgical and non-surgical, and the most important thing we can provide is sincere, honest and careful direction in treatment recommendations to help you achieve outcomes you're grateful to obtain. 

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this topic of concern as you're not alone when it comes to concerns about cost of treatment.

Best of luck to you!

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting prices

+1

The cost of Coolsculpting varies by practitioners and also varies according to the size of applicator.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Costs for Coolsculpting

+1

The price is adjusted per office but every office has to be able to pay for the machine as well as all of the disposable costs associated with this treatment.  Sometimes when you have multiple procedures performed, the cost will be lowered.

The best part about this treatment is the result without having to go under anesthesia.

Cost of Coolsculpting

+1

There is a lot of disposable cost for the doctors offices. This is how the prices are set. We start are prices at $500 per area but it all depends on the size package your purchase. How many areas treated and size of applicators. I know the price is a lot but the results are undeniable. 

Frederick Lester, MD