Coolsculpting Applicator Size for Abs?

I have heard of greater discomfort using the larger applicator. I don't have big bulges on lower or upper abs, so could I request smaller one? and would that lessen the chances of experiencing post procedure pain? I had my love handles done and it went fine with little post pain. I'm sort of freaked out reading the user posts. I am 5'8" about 127 pounds if that helps. Thanks, Meg

Coolsculting which applicator ti=o use

+2

Only during a consultation can you learn which applicator makes most sense for the areas of concern. In my office, we offer compression garments to all CoolSculpting patients. Plastic surgeons have used compression garments for years following liposuction and tummy tucks to help improve skin quality and reduce discomfort.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Applicator Size Choice

+2

Yes, in general, there is more discomfort when the abdomen is treated (compared to the love handles) and more discomfort is felt with the larger applicator BUT you may want to discuss your concerns with your treating physician.  I think you should allow the doctor to choose the correct applicator size that will give you the best results.

The discomfort that patients feel can generally be alleviated with oral pain medication and it is normally self limiting.

Best Wishes.

Coolsculpting Applicator Size for Abs

+1
Typically, the Coolcore (the smaller suction applicator) and Coolmax (the larger suction applicator) are most often used for the abdomen. If there is an insufficient amount of pinchable fat, then coolsmooth applicator which does not utilize suction can be used. Typically, the templates for coolcore and coolmax are used in the examination process unless the area is clearly too small or too large for a particular applicator. Express your concern, and the treating physician may be able to tailor the treatment plan to suit your needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting for fat reduction uses different sized applicators

+1

Treatment with CoolSculpting should be done with the whole area in mind and a three dimensional plan of sculpting the fat away by using, often, multiple applicators, with a slight overlap, to effect the best result.  I have not found in our NYC practice that CoolSculpting hurts more with a large than a small applicator. Pain depends more on the patient, and how close to a bony prominence the applicator is positioned.  There also are unknown reasons for painful treatment in one region and not the other. Some patients just have a lesser pain threshold than others, but I have not found in more than three years of performing coolsculpting in NYC, that the larger applicator hurts more than the smaller ones.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Coolsculpting abdominal area pain

+1

It is true we do see more discomfort following Coolsculpting of the lower abdominal area as compared to all other areas. Typically it resolves in 2-6 weeks.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

6cm and 8cm applicators

+1

Coolsculpting offers 2 sizes to the applicators.  Certainly, the smaller and fewer applicators you use, the less risk of post treatment discomfort to the areas.  That being said, the determination of which size applicator to use is best left to the doctor and the physical exam prior to your procedure.  I would discuss your concerns with your doctor and perhaps do only 1-2 treatments on a given day and do the rest of your treatments on a later date.  I have found that patients with post-treatment discomfort can be easily cared for with oral medications.  There is increased risk of having discomfort when you try to do more treatments on a given day.  I hope that helps answer your question.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon