Botox and Icing Right After Injection?

Got Botox yesterday. The doctor injected 20 units to the glabella and surrounding upper eyebrows. Once he was finished, he applied moderate/gentle pressure with an icepack. He then asked his nurse to enter and hold the ice pack for him for about 10 minutes while he left the room. The nurse's pressure wasn't really gentle, though not too harsh either. Moderate, comparable to how one would typically apply ice pressure on a wound. I'm wondering if this would it jeopardize the results of my Botox?

Botox and Icing Right After Injection?

+1

Thank you for your question. Botox is injected into the muscle and icing shouldn't affect your result. Icing helps with bruising and for comfort. I would avoid massaging the area. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Ice after botox

+1

Ice packs are used to decrease swelling and bruising. We give each patient a pack to apply after treatment. It wont jeopardize your results but it will hopefully make you feel better. Good luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Botox and icing right after injection

+1

Applying ice following treatment is generally done to minimize swelling, and should not compromise your result. It can also be applied prior to the injections to help minimize any pain associated with the injection itself. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Ice or Massage after Botox

+1

Thanks for the question. I routinely give my patients a disposable ice pack to decrease swelling after injectables (Botox, fillers, etc.). I discourage them from doing any sort of massage or manipulation of the area, however.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Icing Right After Injection?

+1

The icing is used to decease swelling and bruising.  some patients also like it if they are sensitive to needle sticks - helps with the soreness.  This should have no affects on the results of the Botox.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Post-botox ice and pressure

+1

Pressure (which should be firm) and ice are commonly used after any injection to help prevent bruising and swelling. There is no compromise in the outcome of your cosmetic procedure, including botox.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and icing

+1

It's not necessary to apply ice directly after cosmetic Botox injections. This is done to minimize swelling and for comfort, however isn't something required or even done in all offices.

Sam Naficy, MD

Icing after Botox

+1

We use ice to reduce any swelling or minimize any needle marks that may be left after injections. The pressure applied should have no effects on the injections performed. 

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Icing

+1

Dear patient, the application of Ice after Botox is quite helpful in decreasing swelling and bruising. There are 2 issues to be aware of. Direct application of Ice for a long time can actually burn the skin. I always instruct my nurses to move the ice pack around and d it for one minute on and one minute off for 5 to 10 minutes. The second issue relates to pushing the Botox away from the injected area and possibly causing a droop. This applies to Botox/Dysport placed in the forehead areas and is less of an issue in the frown line and around the eyes. Applying too much pressure with the Icepack can potentially move the botox lower toward the eyebrow and increase the chance of a droop. In my practice drooping is exceedingly rare (one in every 300 to 500 patient) but does happen. Icepack will not reduce the efficacy or duration of your Botox. Yours, Dr. David R.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Icing after Botox injections

+1

Appling ice before an after a Botox injection does decrease the degree of swelling a bruising especially in the area right around the crow's foot zone.  There are many  small  blood vessels in this area and it is prone to bruise if your are not technically careful about needle placement.