Loose or Swelling? 2 Weeks After Tummy Tuck - Will It Get Worse?

After my TT I was not able to "pinch" any extra skin... today I wanted to take 2 weeks photos and I noticed that not only i get a roll when I sit I can pinch the skin... it is swelling or loose skin already?

Loose skin after a tummy tuck

+1
loose skin after a tummy tuck is normal after some time, and also you are pinching your sides which are not the tightened area in a tummy tuck.
Although right after a tummy tuck you will feel tight, that will never last forever.  Skin is an expandable tissue and will stretch and relax over time.  If it wasn't stretchable and was tight like a leather jacket, you'd have a hard time moving, bending, stretching.
Tummy tuck takes away Excess skin and tightens things up, but your body is dynamic and won't stay tight forever.

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1
Swelling normally takes a few weeks to subside. On average, most of the swelling goes away after about 3 months, and depending on the extent of surgery, this may even take up to 6 months. A full tummy tuck will involve a lengthier recovery period than a mini. During these weeks and months, you'll notice the swelling gradually lessening.

In the meantime, follow your surgeon's post-surgery care instructions and wear your compression garment as recommended. I usually recommend patients wear their garment day and night for about three weeks, then just during the day from three to six weeks. Your garment will help control swelling by encouraging your body to absorb and eliminate fluids that are causing the swelling. Here are some other tips to deal with swelling:

stay well hydrated and go to the washroom regularly
avoid salty foods and eat healthily
get plenty of rest, but also try to move around a bit at a leisurely pace to keep your circulation going when you're not lying down
once you have adequately recovered, you can consider lymphatic massage, but only with your surgeon's advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Keep in mind that 2 weeks post tummy tuck surgery is much too early to judge the final results of surgery.

Generally, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

I would suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Simon Says: "Put your hands on your hips" Not the area treated by tummy tuck

+1

Try pinching the skin below your belly button like that. You are pinching your hip skin ("Simon says put your hands on your hips" This is not reduced with a tummy tuck. You would likely require a circumferential belt lipectomy and/or a upper back lift to reduce the skin redundancy in the area you are pinching.