Loose or Swelling? 2 Weeks After Tummy Tuck - Will It Get Worse?

After my TT I was not able to "pinch" any extra skin... today I wanted to take 2 weeks photos and I noticed that not only i get a roll when I sit I can pinch the skin... it is swelling or loose skin already?

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Keep in mind that 2 weeks post tummy tuck surgery is much too early to judge the final results of surgery.

Generally, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

I would suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Simon Says: "Put your hands on your hips" Not the area treated by tummy tuck

+1

Try pinching the skin below your belly button like that. You are pinching your hip skin ("Simon says put your hands on your hips" This is not reduced with a tummy tuck. You would likely require a circumferential belt lipectomy and/or a upper back lift to reduce the skin redundancy in the area you are pinching.