Fraxel Not Normally Done by Doctor?

I've looked into Fraxel in the LA area, I've been told repeatedly that it's done by a physician's assistant NOT a Dr.  I was wondering if this is normal or if I should hold out for a Dr. to perform the procedure.

In our office fraxel laser treatment is done by the doctor.

+1

Fraxel may be done by a doctor or an aesthetician depending upon the state’s laws. There are different licensing requirements for different fractionated lasers. In our office fraxel laser treatment is done by the doctor.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would not feel right delegating these treatments to mid-level extenders or other surrogates

+1

Don't want to be repetitious, but another brief comment from yet another area of the country might be useful. these are powerful machines and expensive treatments...it only takes about 20 minutes for me to do them myself. it just doesn't seem right to not actually perform the work personally.  i'm sure you can find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who handles things similarly. 

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Who should Laser or Burn your face - MD or assistant

+1

I could not agree more with Dr. Persky. WHY would anyone entrust their health, appearance and well-being to anyone BUT a REAL Plastic surgeon?

The laws in some states allow non-doctors to inject fillers and Botox or use lasers NOT because these are safer options for the general public but because economic lobbying by special interests "persuaded" politicians to pass such laws.

If you want to maximize your Cosmetic results and reduce complications get such treatments from a Plastic surgeon NOT from his or other doctors' or salons' "extenders" or affiliates.

Fraxel Restore can be done by non physicians in some states

+1

The individual states determine who need to do laser treatment. In New York physician assistants and nurses can do the treatment under the supervision of the doctor. In other states only the physician can peform the laser treatment.  There can be injurious reactions also this is very rare. In my practice, I perform these treatments myself.

Fraxel Laser Treatments, Who Would You Choose to Have the Treatment?

+1

Hi Nikki,

I have been using Fraxel lasers since their inception about 6 years ago.  I have performed all of the treatments on my patients.  These lasers are very powerful tools, capable of achieving great results.  On the other hand, they are also capable of causing burns and scars when used improperly.  It may be a few less dollars to have a technician or physician's assistant perform the treatment, but it is your face for the rest of your life.  Would you rather have a board certified expert facial plastic surgeon with 25 years experience with lasers, or a technician work on your face?  Those who have repeatedly told you that "it's done by a physician's assistant" are obviously offices where physician's assistants are performing the procedure.

Choose your laser physician most carefully, especially for your face.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P    (Encino, CA)

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.