How Long Do I Have to Wear the Compression Stockings After Sclerotherapy?

Are the compression socks needed for the best long-term results from sclerotherapy or mainly to manage the swelling or circulation?

Compression stockings and sclerotherapy

+4

Wearing compression stockings (thigh-highs) is imperative to achieving optimal results after sclerotherapy. They help keep the walls of the treated veins in close contact so that the body can break them down. If you do not wear them, the veins will fill back up with blood after the procedure and make it much less effective. I recommend that my patients wear compression stockings for a week after their sclerotherapy procedure, and that they wear them 24 hours a day (even in the shower). You can dry them with a hairdryer on cool settings after your shower. In terms of the pressure of the stockings, I recommend 30-40 mmHg (millimeters of mercury).

Hope this helps!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy, compression hose

+2

The wearing of compression stockings and the duration of time for which they should be worn has been and continues to be a controversial topic among vein care specialists.  Depending on where an individual is trained and where he practices will influence his feelings on compression stockings.For example, long term compression may not be possible in Florida as opposed to Alaska.  The most common patient complaint that I receive (and I hear it every day) is that they do not want to wear compression hose following either sclerotherapy or laser vein closure.  Years ago I use to recommend six weeks of compression hose following treatments.  There was essentially zero patient compliance with this.  Over the years I have gradually reduced the requirement recommendations without any noticeable change in results.  I now recommend 48 hours of compression following sclerotherapy and 5 days of compression following laser vein closure.  With the newer lasers and the more potent and efficacious sclerotherapy solutions, I feel that the need for long term compression in not necessary.  I have not seen and change in post procedural results, swelling or bruising.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Stockings after sclerotherapy

+2

At least 3 months and during the 1st 2 weeks we recommend that patients practically live in those stockings. The more you wear stockings, the better the cosmetic outcome. If you are not going to wear stockings, don't get sclerotherapy done. I disagree about the practicality of not taking them off while you shower - something to consider. There is no scientific data to support this recommendation by 2 of the physicians below.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Compression hose after sclerotherapy

+2

After a sclerotherapy treatment it is beneficial to wear compression hose for the first 72 hours continuously.  (We have our patients put them on before they even stand up after treatment.) After that, patients are encouraged to wear them for two weeks just during the day- especially when exercising or during periods of prolonged standing.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

How long shoul you wear compression stockings after sclerotherapy

+2

I do a fair amount of Sclerotherapy in my practice and I have found that compression stockings do not make much of a difference for spider veins.  However, if larger varicose veins are being treated compression stockings are very important and should be worn for at least one to two weeks post treatment.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Compression Stockings after Sclerotherapy

+2

You should wear your compression stocking for 24 hours a day for 7 days, even in the showers and during sleep. Then just during the day for another week or two. It is important for you to wear the compression stockings because it will decrease any and all adverse effects and makes the procedure more effective.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Post procedure sclerotherapy compression

+2

I agree with Dr. Kiripolsky's comments.  It is very important to wear compression stockings as much as possible for 1 week to 10 days to achieve optimal results.

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving results with Compression Stockings after Sclerotherapy

+1

Best long-term results of sclerotherpay. Multiple studies have shown that using compression stockings, >30mm Hcg thigh-highs, improve the long term results associated with sclerotherapy. When we inject sclerosant material, we want the liquid to stay put and irritate the vessel lining, not get washed away by a swiftly moving blood stream. Compression stockings, used 12 hours/day x 2 weeks, do just that. They keep blood volumes in the legs lower than normal, thus keeping our sclerosant in place for maximum benefit.

Bobby Buka, MD

Compression stockings

+1

I always recommend that my patients wear 20-30 mmHg support hose daily while thet are having their treatments,and for at least one month afterwards. They do not wear support hose at night.Patients who comply with this regime do much better than those who don't.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Compression stockings usually help the results of sclerotherapy

+1

Wearing compression stockings after sclerotherapy usually improves the results.  We performed a clinical study years ago, published in a peer-reviewed medical journal, that demonstrated an improvement in results of sclerotherapy for spider veins when patients wore compression stockings (during the day) for 3 weeks>1 week>3 days.  We  recommend two weeks of wearing compression stockings during the day.

That said, for the very smallest of spider veins (like an extra- fine red marker), many patients have done well with wearing stockings only for a few days, or perhaps not at all.  But if one is going to invest in vein treatment, one should be willing to wear compression stockings to improve the results.  Especially when blue or green veins that are 2 mm or more in diameter, it greatly improves results.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist