How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction?

Are garments worn for more than 6 weeks after a breast reduction surgery? What is the longest that they might need to be worn?

Compression garments are over used in male breast reduction

+2

Compression garments are most important in the first 48 hours after surgery.  They help reduce the risks of bleeding and bruising.  I typically have men wear them until they come back to see me post-op, a half of a week to a week later, and then can switch to a light compression shirt like Under Armor after that.  They can be worn longer for comfort and security if desired, but I haven't seen any evidence that long term use improves the final result.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

+2

In my surgical youth I recall a very famous Plastic surgeon known to many of us, when asked by a medical student "Prof. X, WHEN do the titches come out", he would invariably respond "Monday". It was his way to teach us early that rigidity did not belong in Plastic Surgery and that each patient had to be assessed individually.

We use compression garments to promote adherence of the thinned skin to the underlying muscle and reduce swelling. By 3-4 weeks this is accomplished in a majority of men. Wearing the garment longer is not really needed after this point BUT if we are dealing with individuals who may be too active too soon or who may have other reasons we may extend the period of compression.

Monday.

Peter A Aldea, MD

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Compression Garments Worn 4-6 Weeks Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

In an effort to facilitate wound healing following male breast reduction surgery, compression garments are frequently utilized. Compression following surgery helps minimize swelling, decreases hematoma formation and decreases post-operative pain.

In most cases compression garments are worn for four to six weeks. It’s important to remember that post-operative care needs to be individualized for each patient. In some cases compression may be required for longer than anticipated, while in others it can be discontinued early.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after gynecomastia surgery

+1

I generally recommend compression for 4 weeks after gynecomastia surgery.  The first week, I have them wear the vest I provide at the time of surgery, and after that first week, they can use the vest or a compression shirt, such as Under Armor, and I suggest going a size smaller than would normally be worn.  In some rare cases, I encourage up to 6 weeks (if significant skin retraction is needed for a final result), but there's no evidence to support compression beyond 6 weeks, other than for comfort or as a point of patient preference.

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after gynecomastia surgery

+1
I generally have patients wear the compression garment for four weeks postoperatiively, although if both skin reection and liposuction were used, would extend the time period to six weeks full-time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Garments after male breast reduction

+1

i prefer for all male breast reductions to wear a compression garment for 6 weeks if they have undergone liposuction.    Healing is very subjective, so if swelling and skin laxity is present at 6 weeks, i may recommend longer compression to allow for the best longterm result.

Paul S. Gill, MD

The Compression Vest After Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

I have my patients wear their compression vest for a full 6 weeks, 24/7. It may be off after the drains are out for showering only. I tell my patients they may wear a cotton t-shirt under their vest for comfort.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

How long does the garment need to be worn after gynecomastia surgery?

+1

I have my patients wear it for three weeks afterwhich I have them massage. If they want to wear it further that's fine. Sometimes they will substitute an elastic athletic shirt (like Nike or Under Armour) instead. Check with your own surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Compression Garment After Gynecomastectomy

+1

I usually ask me patients undergoing gynecomastectomy or male breast reduction surgery to wear their compression garments for 3-4 weeks.  Sometimes alonger period is desirble.  I find some of my patients continuing to wear their garments even after I tell them they can stop.

John Whitt, MD