How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction?

Are garments worn for more than 6 weeks after a breast reduction surgery? What is the longest that they might need to be worn?

Compression garments are over used in male breast reduction

Compression garments are most important in the first 48 hours after surgery.  They help reduce the risks of bleeding and bruising.  I typically have men wear them until they come back to see me post-op, a half of a week to a week later, and then can switch to a light compression shirt like Under Armor after that.  They can be worn longer for comfort and security if desired, but I haven't seen any evidence that long term use improves the final result.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

805 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94301

In my surgical youth I recall a very famous Plastic surgeon known to many of us, when asked by a medical student "Prof. X, WHEN do the titches come out", he would invariably respond "Monday". It was his way to teach us early that rigidity did not belong in Plastic Surgery and that each patient had to be assessed individually.

We use compression garments to promote adherence of the thinned skin to the underlying muscle and reduce swelling. By 3-4 weeks this is accomplished in a majority of men. Wearing the garment longer is not really needed after this point BUT if we are dealing with individuals who may be too active too soon or who may have other reasons we may extend the period of compression.

Peter A Aldea, MD

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction

Thank ypu for your question.  In my practice, a compression garment is worn in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  After two weeks, the patient can switch to a contour garment like SPANX for an additional 3-4 weeks.  Consult with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Compression garments following gynecomastia

We recommend 2-3 weeks of post op compression following a gynecomastia surgery. You will get many different opinions from many surgeons. Sometimes I think a garment can have negative effects such a skin malposition following a neck lift.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

6355 East Kemper Road
Cincinnati, OH 45241

Compression Garments Post Gynecomastia Surgery

As you can see based on the answers of my colleagues, there is no set length of time that compression garments should be worn. Every surgeon has their individual recommendation. In my practice I typically have patients wear some sort of compression garment for 3-4 weeks, and in some cases up to 6 weeks.  I feel that in this period of time there is the most swelling and the garment helps in minimizing this swelling.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Garmet use

4 weeks 24/7 (except for showering of course), then night time for another couple weeks.
The garmets are CRITICAL in reshaping the chest wall, particularly if skin laxity is an issue.  Don't cheat!  It is uncomfortable but very, very important.

Tim Neavin, MD

9615 Brighton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Compression garment

You should ask your surgeon about this since each has their own guidelines regarding compression garment usage. Normally, about 6 weeks is the average, though.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

If the surgeon is using a compression garment, which we employ for a variety of surgeons for gynecomastia, then it typically is most beneficial for 1 to 2 months after surgery.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

Time for Post Gynecomastia Garment

COMPRESSION GARMENT: The extra pressure this elastic garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering. In my practice for most patients I recommend circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, and switch to an exercise compression garment when advised. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you specific advice on if it is needed for a longer time period.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

In my practice, I typically require patient for wear compression garments for 8 weeks after gynecomastia reduction surgery.  If prolonged swelling occurs, compression garments may be required for a longer time.  Good luck and be safe. 

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

16614 Creek Bend Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478