How Long Will I Need to Wear the Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction?

Are garments worn for more than 6 weeks after a breast reduction surgery? What is the longest that they might need to be worn?

Compression garments are over used in male breast reduction

+2

Compression garments are most important in the first 48 hours after surgery.  They help reduce the risks of bleeding and bruising.  I typically have men wear them until they come back to see me post-op, a half of a week to a week later, and then can switch to a light compression shirt like Under Armor after that.  They can be worn longer for comfort and security if desired, but I haven't seen any evidence that long term use improves the final result.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

+2

In my surgical youth I recall a very famous Plastic surgeon known to many of us, when asked by a medical student "Prof. X, WHEN do the titches come out", he would invariably respond "Monday". It was his way to teach us early that rigidity did not belong in Plastic Surgery and that each patient had to be assessed individually.

We use compression garments to promote adherence of the thinned skin to the underlying muscle and reduce swelling. By 3-4 weeks this is accomplished in a majority of men. Wearing the garment longer is not really needed after this point BUT if we are dealing with individuals who may be too active too soon or who may have other reasons we may extend the period of compression.

Monday.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Compression

+1
If the surgeon is using a compression garment, which we employ for a variety of surgeons for gynecomastia, then it typically is most beneficial for 1 to 2 months after surgery.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Time for Post Gynecomastia Garment

+1
COMPRESSION GARMENT: The extra pressure this elastic garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering. In my practice for most patients I recommend circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, and switch to an exercise compression garment when advised. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you specific advice on if it is needed for a longer time period.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1
In my practice, I typically require patient for wear compression garments for 8 weeks after gynecomastia reduction surgery.  If prolonged swelling occurs, compression garments may be required for a longer time.  Good luck and be safe. 

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

It really depends on the particular type of Male Breast Reduction surgery that is done:

+1
It depends on the particular type of Male Breast Reduction surgery that is done:

Liposuction Alone: 4 weeks of a “compression vest” is usually adequate to treat post-op swelling and minimize the chance for fluid and blood collections.

Gland Excision Alone: requires a bulky dressing with some compression for 7 to 10 days.

Liposuction and Gland Excision: requires a bulky gauze dressing for 7 days along with a compression vest for 4 weeks.

Full Breast Reduction: Mild compression with ace wraps and a bulky gauze dressing is worn one week.  If a free nipple graft is done, a compressive “tie-over” dressing is applied over the graft and is left for 7-10 days until the graft “takes”.

Although Under Armour type compression shirts are often used, I prefer a custom fit compression vest mainly because it can be adjusted for tightness and it is made of heavy duty materials that tend to be stiffer and more effective than compression shirts.

I don’t recommend wearing the compression vest for longer than 4 weeks.

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment After Male Breast Reduction

+1
I generally recommend patients wear a support garment for 6 weeks - night and day for the first three weeks, and then during the day for another three weeks. This garment will help reduce swelling and conform the skin to your new shape. It could be a little longer depending on the patient's rate of healing. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Most agree about the use of compression garments in the days following surgery. Your surgeon will guide you as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Compression Garments Worn 4-6 Weeks Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

In an effort to facilitate wound healing following male breast reduction surgery, compression garments are frequently utilized. Compression following surgery helps minimize swelling, decreases hematoma formation and decreases post-operative pain.

In most cases compression garments are worn for four to six weeks. It’s important to remember that post-operative care needs to be individualized for each patient. In some cases compression may be required for longer than anticipated, while in others it can be discontinued early.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon